adding Vessel View Link

New Ranger 521C Merc ProXs 4s...Lowrance 12HDS Carbon and Merc digital smartgauge.....I want to see all my motor functions on my Lowrance....I understand buying the Link Box...but is there a harness or digital lines that are needed and were is the best place to mount the Vessel View Link and does the determine harness from motor? Obivously electronics are not my expertise ....
    2019 Ranger 521c
    2019 Merc ProXS 4s 2B590151 serial No.
    7th BassBoat since "85"

2. Member
    What you'll need to check:
    -verify you have a J-box under your dash for where the Mercury mercmonitor is plugged into? The J-BOX is a mercury smart craft junction box usually with 4 ports. If you have that under the dash, easy to hook to up the vessel view link.
    -You'll need a NMEA2k network in your boat that already has the Lowrance unit connected. Possibly your Merc mercmonitor is as well.

How you hook the VesselView up
    -You'll hook the vessel view link with NMEA2k drop cable to the tee it comes with it into your existing NMEA network - the tee will insert before the terminator (the small adapter that is plugged at the end of the network on each end)
    -the Smartcraft plug goes from the vessel view to a port on the J-box - remove one of the weather caps on the j-box - that would be an open spot.
    -go on your Lowrance and in the settings turn the Mercury interface on - it is near the bottom of the settings.

you should then see a mercury logo on the left of your carbon as well as on the home screen
    from there you can refer to the vessel view book for configuration and settings on how you want the mercury interface to work

good luck.

3. Member
    When I go to the Merc Screen on my Lowrance it already reads mph.
    2019 Ranger 521c
    7th BassBoat since "85"

4. Member
    I will get more info this weekend ...boat is coming home...on a hoist right now at condo....thanks!
    2019 Ranger 521c
    7th BassBoat since "85"

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkBassman View Post
    I will get more info this weekend ...boat is coming home...on a hoist right now at condo....thanks!
    Lots of attempts at helping above, but let's back this up to about Post# 2.

-MOST MercMonitor-Equipped boats from Ranger come with the BASIC "Eco" MercMonitor (was initially discontinued, but given part number activity lately, it may be coming back). THIS UNIT DOES NOT HAVE NMEA-2000 CAPABILITIES.

-May or May not have J-box. Follow wiring from MercMonitor to the next 10-pin plug on the MercMonitor harness (does it plug into a J-Box or a Cable)?

-Vessel View Link is a device that permits the OP to utilize his Lowrance Carbon as a FULL-FUNCTIONING "Vessel View" Display (Mercury's FLAGSHIP Smartcraft Device, far better than a MercMonitor).

-Even if you do have a Level-1 MercMonitor (see Level and Version that flash on the screen at power up and provide them), you may still want to consider the Vessel View Link.

See Rhonda's post at the top of the Forum... if you drop her an email, we can assist you with the items you would need, including BBC Member Special Pricing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    OK so I emailed Ranger with my Boat serial # and what I wanted ...here is the email info back....These are Ranger part numbers....312242 Link, Vessel View, DI,Single aand 5402199 Box, Junction, 4-way, Smartcraft, and 5600239 Fitting, T , NEMA (RED)....The digital engine harness is included in your configuration.
    2019 Ranger 521c
    7th BassBoat since "85"

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please clarify- is that what they said you NEED, or what they said you HAVE (looks like a combination of both if I read it correctly).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor