Losing power to main switch panel

2017 Blazer 625 running a 6 month old 31 series battery From Batteries Plus.
    I've never had an issue with the boat until this week when I was out fishing and all of my graph suddenly shutdown. I noticed the main rocker switch on my power panel was not let up so I turned it off and back to the on position but nothing happened. I waited about 10 minutes and turned it on and it worked so I thought it may be a short however as I sat there without the boat moving and all 4 of my graphs on it turned off again. The entire switched panel did not have power as the main power light was not on to the panel however all of my gauges and everything that do not run through the switched panel continued to work fine. I have tried it a few times in my garage after making sure battery was fully charged and same issue occurs within about 2 or 3 minutes of turning on all of my graphs. If I wait anywhere from 30 seconds to 4 minutes it will suddenly start working again (I'm going to test if turns back on if I never flip toggle switch after turns off). I have ensured that the wires are plugged in tight to the back of the main power switch but cannot think of what else it might be as it does it even sitting on the trailer in my garage. It shows it has well over 12 volts and the boat cranks a verado 250 with no problem.
    Last edited by Bigguyone; 11-28-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

2. Member
    Tried it with 2 graphs and same issue.

Seems it shuts the power to the main switch on panel "power" toggle switch off.

Sounds like a breaker tripping. Excessive current causing a heat build up in the breaker and causing it to trip. Once it cools off, it resets.
    Could be a faulty breaker or Your grapes are drawing more current than the breaker is rated for.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    Did some more testing....

About 45 to 50 seconds from flipping on main power switch (no matter if key in accessory or "on" position) is when it shuts off and about 5 minutes before it turns back on (even if I never toggle the switch or move the key).
    Same behavior even if no graphs or anything turned on other than the main "power" switch.

Ideas?

Easiest way to check breakers?
    Looks like have 4 of these
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-...yABEgJuXfD_BwE

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Bigguyone; 11-28-2019 at 08:14 PM.

5. Member
    I would assume it's still under warranty being a 17'. Call the dealer first?
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguyone View Post
    Did some more testing....

About 45 to 50 seconds from flipping on main power switch (no matter if key in accessory or "on" position) is when it shuts off and about 5 minutes before it turns back on (even if I never toggle the switch or move the key).
    Same behavior even if no graphs or anything turned on other than the main "power" switch.

Ideas?

Easiest way to check breakers?
    Looks like have 4 of these
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-...yABEgJuXfD_BwE

Thank you in advance.
    To test... Disconnect the lead on one side of the breaker(battery side). Turn on main power switch @ the console. If the power switch turns on reconnect the breaker lead. Disconnect second breaker lead turn the main power switch on... keep doing this until you locate the line feeding the main power switch at the console. Once you locate the line feeding the main power switch swap that breaker out with one of the other 3 breakers - ensure the amp rating is the same. Should be somewhere between 30 and 50 amps. Once you swap the breakers turn the main power switch at the console on again and leave it. If it doesn't go dark(lose power) in 60 seconds(or so) you've probably found the culprit - defective breaker. If it does go dark.... You're gonna have to get up under the dash, find the equipment side of the switch. One side will be the power side - Where the battery lead is attached to the switch. The other side is the load side - the equipment/devices powered up when the switch is enabled. There's a lot of way's to do the testing. The way I'd do it is remove all equipment leads from the load side of the switch. Then power the switch on. If it goes dark you could have a bad switch although with no negative leads('cept for the switch light) be hard pressed to believe the power switch is the problem. If the switch passes the test start reconnecting equipment leads one at a time. Each time you connect a lead test that circuit by turning the power switch on. If it doesn't go dark leave that circuit attached and connect the next one and perform the power on test again. Keep testing until you locate the circuit that is creating the problem. Once you locate that circuit the fun starts. Some where there "appears" to be a short. Your mission will be to locate it. Feel all the leads going to the power switch. Is one warmer/hotter than any of the others? There's your sign.

One thing you might want to do is physically disconnect the power leads to each graph. Could be something going on there. Probably not but it's easy enough to eliminate the graphs so why not do it.

Then, of course, you could have defective grapes. In which case you're screwed! Haft'a get new grapes! Sorry.... couldn't resist.

7. Member
    If there is a auto rest breaker in the circuit, replace it. I have had and others I know have had those types of breakers go bad and they tripped off for no good reason. Usually close to the battery. They look like this one: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7823107
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    I would assume it's still under warranty being a 17'. Call the dealer first?
    I wish I could...I have never used a warranty as seems it takes a couple weeks or more to get in around here.. last time I had a tiny item that was a 10 minute fix and $50 was a quote of 6 weeks before they could look at the boat even and had to have it there in line the whole time, no appointments....crazy!!

9. Member
    Ordered 2 new 20a (as one coming off main battery to switch is 20a) breakers as look just like the ones in napa link but with red covers.
    Thank you for the help and will keep you posted.

When best to go auto reset vs manual reset?

10. Member
    I prefer manual. If it is a frequent occurrence you need a bigger amp rating or something is wrong. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

11. Member
    Replaced auto breaker and all well! Thank you guys!

12. Member
    Wished I had seen this earlier. You just say all of you graphs, but don't say what size or type. A breaker, even auto reset, shouldn't go bad in a year and half. You may need to ( read as advised too) run dedicated wiring to the graphs with dedicated breaker. 12ga and 20a is a good combination.