Thread: Blade baits

Blade baits

I've use blade baits some, mostly sliver, chrome, noticed that there is becoming more colors ,brands etc, you guys use more of the full colored, reds, Greens over the silvers, any reasons for this ,do different brands have different wobbles etc, any modifications made to them besides the hooks

Nickel for me

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    I like silver. I throw a silver buddy for smallmouth and walleye. My only change is adding a cross lock snap.

Last year I started to throw a Steelshad in silver.

I like to throw the silver buddy in mild wind conditions. I like it as vertical as possible.

Now if the wind is up, I change over to the steelshad as it fishes better when the wind is blowing.

I never change hooks. Don't forget about Hopkin's Spoons as well, caught a ton of fish on those as well.

Good luck.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

4. Member
    I use Nickel or Gold. The only modification I'll make is bend the tail behind the back hook about 45deg to the left. This make the wobble much more defined (IMHO) but! It can work against you when the fish want a tighter/lighter vibration.
    If I'm casting a blade over the flats I will leave the tail straight.
    Go Gators!

5. Member
    I'd keep it simple and stick to silver and gold. There is a definite difference in action/wobble between brands depending on design. I'm going to have to try that tail bend idea ST8Bugging mentioned. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the hooks from tangling on every cast?
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    Mercury 200 EFI (0G374590)
    26P Trophy Plus / Garmin Force / Garmin EchoMAP / Dual Power Pole Pro Series II

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

Damiki Vault 1/2 oz, great for casting or vertical either one. This time of year that gives you instant options, you can cast it like a lipless crank, but when shad schools show up below you on the electronics, you can instantly drop it down and vertical jig it. they have two colors in the white to silver range that I use for bass to imitate shad. I also use gold for inshore fishing for specks and puppy drum. The green, and blue and black back colors I have never used because I have not seemed to need anything else. Yo can change the action by moving the snap to ether of three holes. It has a lot of vibration in any of the three but I rarely use the front or back holes.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snapshotmd View Post
    I'd keep it simple and stick to silver and gold. There is a definite difference in action/wobble between brands depending on design. I'm going to have to try that tail bend idea ST8Bugging mentioned. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the hooks from tangling on every cast?
    Remove the split rings and use a (short shank) split shank hook. #6 on 1/4oz and #4 on 1/2oz. VMC's are super sharp. With the split shank it will also be easier to un-snag a bait. Just get over the top of the bait and with the rod tip shake the crap out of it. This will get the bait bouncing and the weight of the bait will vibrate the hooks loose.
    I prefer the silver most of the times, but on very cloudy days Ive had more fish on the brass.
    Hold the bait up with the rod tip, if the line is twisted your over working the bait. Most people get too carried away with this bait. Almost a do nothing bait, just make it vibrate.
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 12-02-2019 at 07:26 AM.

8. Member
    Silver or gold for me, and I also put a slight bend in the tail. A good plug knocker is a must around here.

9. Member
    Silver or gold for me too...I actually have more confidence in gold.

20190929_185045.jpg

This is a "steel shad" brand, only one I throw. It comes with chrome stickers on the sides but after a few good fish they come off. Doesn't matter, they crush it just the way this one is.

Norisadas or my buddies (same mold as Norisada) for me in silver or gold. May put some tape on them at times as it does seem to add a bit more flash that can matter. I run split rings and short shank hooks, dont like running split shanks as the fish can leverage on the bait and pop the hooks easier. Yes I lose more to the bottom, but I lose much less fish.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snapshotmd View Post

Remove hooks and split rings and replace with short shank hooks and make your “split rings” out of braided line. Feider has a video on YouTube how to tie it all up. Personally since doing this to all my blade baits my foul hooks have decreased dramatically and my landing percentage has increased. And to answer the original question I use mainly silver or gold and a few that are silver/black or silver/purple holographic.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    20190929_185045.jpg

This is a "steel shad" brand, only one I throw. It comes with chrome stickers on the sides but after a few good fish they come off. Doesn't matter, they crush it just the way this one is.
    You fish deep enough to even throw one of these,??? Lol

I've had good luck on white shad (cloudy), gold orange (cloudy), silver with chartreuse flash, purple tiger which has olive, glow and purple and chartreuse to it. When the water is lower 40's I've done better with 3/8 oz cicadas which are smaller,vibrate harder and quicker than others.