Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Anti Seize for wheel lugs

What do you folks use on your wheel lugs to keep them from seizing up? I looked at the stuff in the silver can from Permatex, but it said that it was NOT to be used on wheel lugs. Will regular bearing grease suffice?

I have not ever used it but it is probably a good idea!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I've always (when I can ) cleaned the threads with a thread chaser ( similar to a die ) and sprayed them with WD-40. If I'm at home I make sure they are torqued to 90 lb if not I torque them when I get home. I've never had a problem getting them off and they have always stayed tight. I've also heard that Never Seize is not good for lug nuts, but don't know why.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    Each spring when I change the COOL HUB oil on mt trailer, I apply that anti-seize to each wheel lug bolt, plus on the rear wheels of my Tahoe. If you launch your boat in tidal water, that needs to be done at least yearly, plus regular launching on inland waters can cause corrosion if wheels stay on for a long time. Last thing you need is for a frozen wheel lug on a flat tire along some Interstate.

5. Member
    I replaced all my lug nuts with chrome or s/s crown nuts. The ones that are used on mag wheels. That way the threaded studs are never exposed to the elements. Lightly apply grease of any kind to the threads and your concerns will be satisfied. Note; types of lubricates has an efect on the torque value but not to the degree we should be concerned.

I've used Never Seize on my trailer lugs for 25 years. Never had a problem.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Scraps
    Always use a thread lube on my lugs when they get changed. A very light coating. Now, you "should" back off on the required torque about 20%. I would imagine the disclaimer on the Permatex is solely to protect against people that slather the lube on the lugs and then install at the dry thread torque. I use the high-temp Permatex anti-seize.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    What do you folks use on your wheel lugs to keep them from seizing up? I looked at the stuff in the silver can from Permatex, but it said that it was NOT to be used on wheel lugs. Will regular bearing grease suffice?
    Lug torque values are for dry threads. Adding anything will cause you to over stretch the lug studs and put excess pressure on your wheels and hubs. If you torque them properly and take them off periodically for brake and bearing maintenance, the nuts aren’t going to seize.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Lug torque values are for dry threads. Adding anything will cause you to over stretch the lug studs and put excess pressure on your wheels and hubs. If you torque them properly and take them off periodically for brake and bearing maintenance, the nuts aren’t going to seize.
    Mine seized and I couldn't get them off... I bought new rims and tires at 5 years old and needed Discount tire use a 4ft breaker bar and a 350lb man to get them off. Fortunately the studs did not break off. Their HD impact did nothing... I put the anti seize on my threads.... I would have been screwed if I had a flat... My oil filled hubs are 5 year no maintenance.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I'm old school. A dab of grease on the lugs (including new) A good snug with a full size 4 way. No troubles in 30 years, main thing - regular inspection and maintenance. I had one trailer that had a sticker warning to check lugs before each trip. IMO that's way overkill, but don't wait 5 years

11. Member
    Been using Permatex for years with no problem.

12. Member
    love Permatex anti seize.

2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

Lug nuts thats are submerged in water dry? No thanks im not willing to take that risk. Ive seen lug nuts rusted on trailers that dont see the water. Not gonna be too handy on the side of the road. Most people go overkill is the problem just a small dab is all you need to coat the threads. Most trailer ligs recommend 95 ft/lbs of torque. A half inch stud isnt going to be effected enough to harm it adding a little anti sieze at that torque value thats splitting hairs.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

15. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Lug nuts thats are submerged in water dry? No thanks im not willing to take that risk. Ive seen lug nuts rusted on trailers that dont see the water. Not gonna be too handy on the side of the road. Most people go overkill is the problem just a small dab is all you need to coat the threads. Most trailer ligs recommend 95 ft/lbs of torque. A half inch stud isnt going to be effected enough to harm it adding a little anti sieze at that torque value thats splitting hairs.
    Lubricant can cause 40% over torque. 95 ft-lbs changes to 133ft-lbs. That is beyond the point where some threads will strip on lesser quality studs. It is simply not safe, and if you work in the aircraft business it is a terminable offense. Stretching steel beyond its limits is a bad idea in every way. I have 5 trailers, two tractors and three vehicles. Some of this equipment spends much of its life with wheels submerged in cow manure and urine. Lugs just don’t seize unless they are over torqued when installed.
    nothing else matters.​

Lubricant can cause 40% over torque. 95 ft-lbs changes to 133ft-lbs. That is beyond the point where some threads will strip on lesser quality studs. It is simply not safe, and if you work in the aircraft business it is a terminable offense. Stretching steel beyond its limits is a bad idea in every way. I have 5 trailers, two tractors and three vehicles. Some of this equipment spends much of its life with wheels submerged in cow manure and urine. Lugs just don’t seize unless they are over torqued when installed.
    Properly torqued hardware will sieze all the same so not sure where you are coming from with only over torqued hardware siezing but ok. I can see it being a problem with people who have zero feel when tifhtening fasteners down but for those that do i dont see it being a problem. We ll have to agree to disagree on this one i wont ever put lugs on without it. I guess im “unsafe”.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Properly torqued hardware will sieze all the same so not sure where you are coming from with only over torqued hardware siezing but ok. I can see it being a problem with people who have zero feel when tifhtening fasteners down but for those that do i dont see it being a problem. We ll have to agree to disagree on this one i wont ever put lugs on without it. I guess im “unsafe”.
    The stud, when stretched, is like a spring. More torque produces more clamping force so there is more friction on the threads.
    nothing else matters.​

I have 5 trailers, two tractors and three vehicles. Some of this equipment spends much of its life with wheels submerged in cow manure and urine. Lugs just don’t seize unless they are over torqued when installed.
    Have to respectfully disagree..
    May have a lot to do with location.. rusted/seized nuts and bolts are a big problem where I live. Not just lug nuts but countless places on farm and ranch machinery. Fairly common around here to see any kind of trailer with one or more lugs twisted off.

19. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Have to respectfully disagree..
    May have a lot to do with location.. rusted/seized nuts and bolts are a big problem where I live. Not just lug nuts but countless places on farm and ranch machinery. Fairly common around here to see any kind of trailer with one or more lugs twisted off.
    Have heard a few mechanics say it's senseless to use anti-seize in those applications cuss the poop and piss eventually wash the lube away.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Have heard a few mechanics say it's senseless to use anti-seize in those applications cuss the poop and piss eventually wash the lube away.
    All the farmers I grew up with used a dab of grease on the threads.. helps keeps the rust from growing things together.
    Saved anti seize for SS and aluminum since they don't grow rust.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast