Ghost V's Force?

Changing from a Ultrex to either a new Force or a Ghost and , looking for opinions on which and , why?

2. Member
    Patiently waiting to hear the pros/cons myself...

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by schinkr1 View Post
    Patiently waiting to hear the pros/cons myself...

several reports on the ghost, none on the force yet.

4. Member
    I just ordered a new Force.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TB21 View Post
    I just ordered a new Force.

Let us know how it is, when you get her installed. They look like they are going to be great motors.

6. Member
    The Force is super powerful, super quiet and built like a tank. Battery usage is cut dramatically. Lift assist and deploy assist makes for two finger operation; as soon as it gets over breaking point I just let go whether stowing or deploying. Wireless steering feels like cable. Foot pedal tension is adjustable. All the other features work great: heading lock, anchor lock, navigating to a waypoint, etc. Has 20 speeds and the first 5 or 6 you can't even tell if it's on by listening. Next to 0 interference on chartplotters and depthfinders. The UHD54 built in transducer is crystal clear even at very slow speeds. It's a great trolling motor.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ring fry View Post
    The Force is super powerful, super quiet and built like a tank. Battery usage is cut dramatically. Lift assist and deploy assist makes for two finger operation; as soon as it gets over breaking point I just let go whether stowing or deploying. Wireless steering feels like cable. Foot pedal tension is adjustable. All the other features work great: heading lock, anchor lock, navigating to a waypoint, etc. Has 20 speeds and the first 5 or 6 you can't even tell if it's on by listening. Next to 0 interference on chartplotters and depthfinders. The UHD54 built in transducer is crystal clear even at very slow speeds. It's a great trolling motor.

SE Kansas grass grower

You are sponsored by them, guys want real user testimonies.

8. Member
    I am absolutely not sponsored by Garmin. I do test their marine electronics and give honest assessments on their products as well as other products I use. I am a golf course superintendent by profession and hardly ever fish a tournament.

Besides that grout, there is nothing I said in that comment that wasn't anywhere close to an untruth.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

9. Banned
    Don’t take offense to what I wrote, I’m just saying that we want to read from regular guys with no ties to a brand or sales pitches. Of course we want what we buy to be good, but there are pros & cons to each brand. The force looks real good in RMP’s video.

I’ve posted the pros & cons of my ghost in multiple threads.

Hey Ring, does Garmin advertise their alleged radius of travel from the middle of a spotlock? Nothing from lowrance that I have seen.
    Last edited by grout-scout; 12-01-2019 at 05:02 PM.

10. Member
    Not sure what you mean. Sorry. On the handheld it will tell you how far any direction you are from the exact spot.

jon k.

ROCK CHALK

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ring fry View Post
    Not sure what you mean. Sorry. On the handheld it will tell you how far any direction you are from the exact spot.

jon k.

I think MK advertises their ultrex will stay in a 10’ circle or something like that. I was wondering if Garmin advertised that? Pretty cool that it shows how far you are from your spot, def don’t have that on the Lowrance. Unless I have to have the latest model of graph to see that. Hmmm, now I wonder.

12. Member
    I pulled a short list together to compare the two motors. Looking at them side by side, I'm in favor of the Force, but the deal breaker for me is the lack of a break away mount. Do I have this right or is that a real difference?
    Motors.gif
    Last edited by schinkr1; 12-01-2019 at 06:35 PM.

13. Member
    I have a Force installed; will try on water soon once the wind calms down.

So far, I think it’s a good one. You can see some small issues reported on Garmin GPS board, but I think they are all easily fixable (except one, which I think all TMs will have).

The motor’s quality is over-built for 24V/80lbs thrust! though I know I can easily get 120lbs (which I don’t need at all) by adding another battery, I wish they downsized it a little for 24V (in other words, don’t share base and frame between 24v and 36v models). The TM is built like a tank.

14. Member
    Well idk if that’s as big if a deal as it seems. Anchor or spot lock should keep you on the vacinity.

ROCK CHALK

15. Member
    Garmin does NOT publish the frequency (5 hz or 10hz) of the GPS receiver they use on Force. I think it’s a 10hz one. This used to be a thing they were proud of.

No details on Anchor lock either.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by schinkr1 View Post
    I pulled a short list together to compare the two motors. Looking at them side by side, I'm in favor of the Force, but the deal breaker for me is the lack of a break away mount. Do I have this right or is that a real difference?
    Motors.gif

nice chart! Lowrance will have a remote available soon, it’s just a small basic remote with a few buttons. Basically has: steer left & right, speed up & down, spotlock. I kind of like it being small, I had a Terrova and I thought the remote was too big.

Today my ghost was keeping me in a 5’-7’ circle, but the other day it was kicking me easily in a 15’ circle. I think I need to adjust my heading puck.

In Russell Marines video the 24v Force was putting close to 100lbs or thrust.

17. Banned