USA New Member - Introduction

I've been lurking awhile, but decided to join the other day. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving.

I'm looking at a couple of boats, and haven't decided which. I'm really fiscally budget minded, but don't mind buying something that'll last me awhile. Also not sure if I should get a starter boat or go full enchilada with a fiberglass boat. The z518 would be a bit of a stretch, but still doable with the 150 HP motor.

Tracker 175 TXW
    Ranger Z185
    Ranger Z518

Again, thanks for all the info on the forums.

Welcome to BBC
    SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

3. Member
    Thank you!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blwest View Post
    I've been lurking awhile, but decided to join the other day. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving.

I'm looking at a couple of boats, and haven't decided which. I'm really fiscally budget minded, but don't mind buying something that'll last me awhile. Also not sure if I should get a starter boat or go full enchilada with a fiberglass boat. The z518 would be a bit of a stretch, but still doable with the 150 HP motor.

Tracker 175 TXW
    Ranger Z185
    Ranger Z518

Again, thanks for all the info on the forums.
    Welcome to the BBC. Back in 1974 is when my addiction started with a Glastron and a 50HP 'Rude, but I am sure you are not looking to be that budget minded, so I would look at a well kept fiberglass rig with special attention being paid to floors and transom for soft spot of anything. Don't be afraid to pay a little extra for a well kept low hour rig, especially if the current owner has a good maintenance history to show you afore hand. Test ride if possible, otherwise, good extensive hose test followed by compression and lead down on motor. If you are not able to do the compression or leak down yourself, get a professional to do it, since it can save you a crap load of money in the long run. Pay close attention to the compression number to be closer to normal and to eachother, but pay special attention to the leakdown number to be very close to eachother.
    BTW, current rig is '02 Viper Cobra 201DC with '03 Merc 225 EFI worked 70-74ish seasonal speeds26.jpg

5. Member
    Welcome aboard!

I'm all for a less expensive starter boat as in my experience if your not heavily involved in boating you will more than likely make a few newbie mistakes. May as well rough up a cheaper boat some rather than one you want to keep 15 years. But that being said glass boats have advantages that aluminum doesn't and vise versa, if you know the pros and cons get what will suit you best even if it costs more. And don't skimp on a trolling motor like an ultrex. They make fishing so much easier and more enjoyable
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------