View Screenshots on the control head

I have an echomap chirp 73cv. Also have a humminbird helix. Both take screenshots. On the bird, you can view your screenshots on the control head. I don't think I can (or haven't figured out how to) on the garmin. This is handy for review on the lake from time to time. I can view the garmin on the computer no problem. Any reason its not possible to view on the control head on the garmin?

2. Member
    I dont think you can replay a saved sonar recording on the control head either

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I use ActiveCaptain captain and can go back on my phone

4. Member
    Any reason its not possible to view on the control head on the garmin?

Yes

Garmin deemed it as an unnecessary feature on a unit at that price point.

5. Member
    Since Homeport sucks for sidescan recordings it would be nice to replay them on the unit itself.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Yes

Garmin deemed it as an unnecessary feature on a unit at that price point.
    Well sh$#, since it's not there, I figured they deemed it unnecessary. Even my cheapest humminbirds have the feature. Are lower price point screen shots not worthy? What an odd spot to differentiate high end and low end models.

7. Member
    I don't think the echomap chirp or Plus units have the software to display screenshots. The manual for the Ultra says it does but I don't have an Ultra to check it out. From the Ultra manual under Screenshots at the beginning of the appendix

"You can capture a screenshot of any screen shown on your chartplotter as a .png file. You can transfer the screenshot to your computer. You can also view the screenshot in the image viewer."

On the GPSMAP units it's found under Info->Image Viewer
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

8. Member
    My old Ultra 106 could not view its own screenshots

9. Member
    I have an Echomap Ultra 122 unit. I cannot find anywhere on it to view my screenshots. I paid over 2k for my unit so I don't think it has anything to do with price point. Perhaps in a new update they can add this.The units should be more than capable.

10. Member
    I have an Echomap Ultra 122 unit. I cannot find anywhere on it to view my screenshots. I paid over 2k for my unit so I don't think it has anything to do with price point. Perhaps in a new update they can add this.The units should be more than capable.

Royt

My price point comment on viewing the screenshots was a little on the snarky side.

It's old, old technolgy but very useful.

I am still using an 8 yr old HB998 for making SI screen shots attached to waypoints, the veiwing of those screenshots, mapping the waypoints and to guide my BT Terrova to those screenshot/way points and then spotlock upon arrival.

That being said, I do drop the Livescope setup and set it to Autopilot while the Terrova is navigating to the spot lock and then decide if I want to take another screenshot on the 93+, upon arrival.

That 93+ screenshot may make it to my phone gallery for future reference, depending on how unique it is, but my waypoint with the attached screenshot is on the HB unit.

To the OPs question and a solution, I would keep the Helix.

This is why I run different brands simultaneously.

HB for SI, waypoints/mapping, Tmotor control and viewable screenshots.
    Garmin for Panoptix and Livescope.

These may look familiar to some. Combination of units.

Click picture to enlarge

20191029_132927II.jpg

20191029_132913 (2)I.jpg

11. Member
    Agree Mike,

I do have 2 Helix, console and bow, and just got my garmin 73cv for panoptix. This is my first garmin. I got the 73 and panoptix this summer used off ebay. I was able to update for free the 73 to lakevu G3 from lakevu HD, and really like how I get the whole US all these lakes with the unit. Now, my lakemaster is easier to view for me, and easier to use, but getting all the lakes with the garmin is nice.

Basically, my original question was more of just wanting to make sure I wasn't overlooking a menu option. I don't see why you can't view screenshots on the control head, but its not a deal breaker by any means.