Triton TX18 or RT188 batteries

I’m needing a bigger battery since I’ve installed a Garmin Livescope unit on my boat.
    Has anyone put a Group31 starter battery along with 2 Group27 TM batteries in one of these boats? It looks like it should fit but I don’t have the 31 series battery yet. I’m considering using a Duracell 31 battery from Sams Club.
    I realize I may have to move/ modify the battery trays.

2. Member
    I just put 2 27agm and 1 31 agm Duracell in my RT188 last month. It will fit and if you want to use your current trays you will need to modify them. I cut 1 side off the 2 outside trays and both sides on the middle. Works just fine.

3. Member
    I cut the sides off my trays as well. I'm running two 31's and a 27, all three Duracell AGM's.

4. Member
    Just curious, aren't the trays to keep acid contained if it spills from battery? If you cut the sides off and that will let the acid escape, why even use them

5. Member
    I thought they would fit okay. I’m installing a new battery now for the motor and accessories and when the TM batteries are shot I’ll replace them with 2 more AGM Duracell batteries too.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat188 View Post
    Just curious, aren't the trays to keep acid contained if it spills from battery? If you cut the sides off and that will let the acid escape, why even use them
    I've had water boil out with lead acid. I've never seen an AGM leak. It could explode, but I doubt it leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat188 View Post
    I thought the main purpose of the battery trays were to secure the battery. I don't think you want the batteries bouncing around on rough water or rough roads.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

8. Member
    I have 3 group 31 agm Deka's. Used trays and straps from Bass Cat. They fit, tight, but they fit. The only drawback is weight, I think they're 75lbs each?

9. Member
    I'm running a 31 and 2-27 Duracell AGM.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    I'm running a 31 and 2-27 Duracell AGM.
    I’ll end up with the same setup that you have. I’ve owned the boat for 4 years this month. The batteries have been doing fine with my Lowrance graphs but when I added a 10” Garmin and Livescope the 24 series starting battery isn’t going to cut it. I figure the TM batteries will need replaced soon and then I’ll replace them with the Duracell AGMs too.

11. Member
    Lots of variables on how long they last. I fish the local Cumberland in the winter. It isn’t uncommon to put the Ultrex on spotlock and simply hold in the current while fishing. I’ve tried all sorts of lead acid, none of them lasted over two years. Blazing a trail through matted grass is also tough on em. So far I’ve had the Duracell AGM 31’s over a year and they haven’t lost power. I’m running two HDS 7’s on the 27 starting battery. No issue there either.

I put two 31 Duracells from Sams in for the trolling motor. The Optima for the Yamaha is still great so I left it in there. All three fit fine with room left over. I will replace the Optima with a Duracell if the thing ever dies.

I don't want any wet cell batteries in an aluminum boat. It's just one more thing that could go wrong. Why gamble to save a couple of dollars? I don't understand it. There are a lot of things to go wrong I can't avoid, but open acid container is one I can avoid. I could mount the Optima on its side and not have a problem with acid. Also I HATE checking water and adding water to a boat battery. So far, the Optimas and Duracellshave all been great. The Optimas seem like they were getting weaker. They are still running in the Cherokee. I took them out of the RT and put the 31 Duracells in and put the old Optimas in the Cherokee.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

13. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8theB8 View Post
    I have 3 group 31 agm Deka's. Used trays and straps from Bass Cat. They fit, tight, but they fit. The only drawback is weight, I think they're 75lbs each?
    Exact same setup as mine, can never have to much capacity. Fish a couple trolling motor only places, can fish all day and use spot lock without worrying about loss of power. These lakes kill batteries and friends are using this setup for 7 years on the same batteries, wet cells do about half of that time.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

14. Member
    I agree eight panama on this. Getting liquid acid out of an aluminum boat is a good thing.

I don’t have a 188 but I can tell you one thing in these aluminum boats the gray that you select is very important for you to. Get everything shoehorned in. There is someone that makes high quality metal trays that are the best way to go. I finally found a plastic one that worked just fine. In my Tracker if the screen holes are on the end of the battery instead of the side it will not work. If they are under the battery or on the side they work just fine. From what I remember about the 188 battery compartment I think the same thing is true.