What trolling motor shaft length do you run on your Cobraj 201?

I am curious what trolling motor shaft length other 201D owners use. I fish a lot of shallow water on a lot of windy days on the California Delta. I am currently using a 45" shaft MinnKota Maxxum and it pops out of the water too often. I am upgrading to an Ultrex and am leaning towards the 52" shaft. Any input would be great.
    Thanks

2. Member
    I went with a 52 on my boat. I personally think it’s too long for shallow water but the 45 isn’t long enough for big waves. I don’t know if you will want to do this or not but I ended up splitting the diff and cutting 3.5 off the shaft. It is just about right for most situations and not that hard to do. Just be extremely careful not to nick the wires in the shaft

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Utbassman74 View Post
    I went with a 52 on my boat. I personally think it’s too long for shallow water but the 45 isn’t long enough for big waves. I don’t know if you will want to do this or not but I ended up splitting the diff and cutting 3.5 off the shaft. It is just about right for most situations and not that hard to do. Just be extremely careful not to nick the wires in the shaft
    Thanks for the reply, I was thinking that might be the case. I guess you can never make them longer!

4. Member
    I put a 52" Ultrex on mine in February. A buddy of mine actually clued me into the fact that if you are on spotlock and 2 guys are fishing off the back then the 45" was almost out of the water. I too fish shallow, I just adjust it up. I'm a slinger when I get in the groove, especially in a tournament. I constantly have to make myself aware of that head sticking up there.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Jay View Post
    I put a 52" Ultrex on mine in February. A buddy of mine actually clued me into the fact that if you are on spotlock and 2 guys are fishing off the back then the 45" was almost out of the water. I too fish shallow, I just adjust it up. I'm a slinger when I get in the groove, especially in a tournament. I constantly have to make myself aware of that head sticking up there.
    So after fishing with it, would you get the 52" again? I am still planning on the 52" but not 100% sure- Thanks

6. Member
    52 Ultrex here as well. You will thank us when the water is rough lol..

7. Member
    Sorry Mac. I hadn't checked in here for a while. Yes, I would get the 52 again.

8. Member
    Ultrex 52 inch works perfect for me
    USMC 1966 - 1968
    Combat Vets Association Georgia Chapter 25-1
    1999 Cobra 201S 2012 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Bird 798 & 1198 Minn Kota Ultrex