Thread: Optima

Optima

Bought a group 31 for my cranking battery. What is a good charger for this battery?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    About any decent onboard will work. They aren’t very particular about charging. MK PC series or Dual Pro are good choices.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Optima recommends nothing larger than 10 amp per bank

4. Member
    How bout a charger that’s not onboard?

5. Member

6. Member
    Optima 1200 charger charges at 12 amps and recommended by them. Every other thing I have seen for AGM batteries is .2C = 20 amps on a 100 AH battery. Their 31 size battery is 75 ah, that would work out to be 15 amp max. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

I run a Blue Top 31 and have charge it with a Duel Pro for going on 5 yrs now. Never had a problem or an issue. My Trolling batteries are TRP grp 31 NO MAINTENANCE 160 ah batteries that I get at the local Peterbilt dealer for $105 exchange, and they are over 5yrs old and still going strong !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

They apparently aren’t picky about what Charger. I charge my 9+ year old Optima TM batteries with a 12 year old Cul-M-Rite charger. Optimax does recommend 10 amps max charger rate, although as bobcoy stated their charger is 12 amps.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    They apparently aren’t picky about what Charger. I charge my 9+ year old Optima TM batteries with a 12 year old Cul-M-Rite charger. Optimax does recommend 10 amps max charger rate, although as bobcoy stated their charger is 12 amps.
    That's an amazing service life for a battery that seems to get so much negative reviews in here...LOL I know changes in manufacturing sometimes can create problems but I changed from Interstate batteries to Optima 3yrs ago because of similar stories like yours.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

10. Member
    I had a 31 Optima run 5 years. Only problem was the amp hours too low for the electronics. Got a house battery for that stuff. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    The battery charger has several different settings for different batteries. If you select the optima batteries in in the battery selection setting the voltage doesn't go over 10 amps

You guys do realize if you have depleted your cranking a little by running electronics and livewells for while, when run the big engine you will be charging that battery at 25 plus amps untill the voltage rises some what. Todays on board chargers work in a very simlar fashion. A twenty amp automatic charger will provide twenty amps for a bit and as battery resistance goes up charge rate will go down, A twenty amp on board charger with the correct profile will not harm your agm battery any more so than the alternator on the big motor. A shop charger with adjustable charge rate set to high will cause damage
    Thank You Leon Pugh