Banned

Oklahoma tax title tag tax question

The when you buy a new boat or motor Oklahoma charges you taxes based on the MSRP not the sale price. Question is what happens when you buy a boat out of state and pay their taxes what does Oklahoma charge you?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    The when you buy a new boat or motor Oklahoma charges you taxes based on the MSRP not the sale price. Question is what happens when you buy a boat out of state and pay their taxes what does Oklahoma charge you?
    depends on if you lived in Oklahoma when you bought the boat from out of state. The state of Texas screwed me, while living in Oklahoma I bought a used boat and they charged me taxes they never should have, when I filled out the form to recoup my taxes the state of Texas told me unless the boat was delivered they would not refund my taxes. Screwed me out of almost $1000. so if you live in Oklahoma and you buy a boat outside of Oklahoma they should not be charging you tax. They should only tax you where you register it. I recently bought a brand new boat outside the state of Oklahoma, I paid zero taxes on it, but I’ve yet to register it, but I’ve been told, and it states on the website 3.25% for a Boat and motor retail price, you do not have to register the trailer in the state of Oklahoma. For me, Oklahoma still charge me the tax even though I already paid it in Texas. That was on a used boat, but I bet it’s the same for a new boat. They should not be charging you taxes if you don’t live / register it in that state.

3. Member
    3.250 excise tax on both motor and boat plus tags for both, and they don't go by the msrp on yor paper work, they have a book with mfg msrp prices , they couldn't find a 21 trx patriot so I paid excise on a trx elite

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gambler4 View Post
    3.250 excise tax on both motor and boat plus tags for both, and they don't go by the msrp on yor paper work, they have a book with mfg msrp prices , they couldn't find a 21 trx patriot so I paid excise on a trx elite
    "Excise tax on boats and outboard motors is based on the manufacturer's original retail selling price of the unit. Boat/outboard motor excise tax is assessed as follows:

New Boat/Motor: 3.25% of the manufacturer's original retail selling priceUsed Boat/Motor: For each subsequent year of age, the taxable value is decreased 35%"
    That's off the Oklahoma DMV website

So after July of this year you pay taxes on the MSRP not the sale price. You go find a great deal on a new boat and the state is going to tax you what the manufacturer states it is worth MSRP.

5. Member
    So what will I pay on a new 2019 boat and motor if I bought it 3 weeks ago? Will it be deceased by 35% since it is a year old model? Wishful thinking I am sure..... I will find out as I need to go register it in the next few days.

6. Member
    Since it was never tagged youll pay the "new" tax. It sucks but that's how it is. Be sure you get the BM10 form filled out by the seller.

7. Member
    A
    Last edited by gambler4; 12-01-2019 at 07:07 AM.