Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Laurel River Advice

I've fished LR the past couple of summers only at night with some success. A bit inconsistent which is the way I understand LR to be. But, some decent smallies and a few nice lm to keep it interesting.
    I'm really wanting to do some winter fishing and see people saying it fishes good in the colder months. It's a bit of a drive for me from Cincinnati but I don't mind it. But, if im going that far, is it worth my time to just continue to Dale Hollow?
    I've been night fishing it also over the last few years and have had more success there. And I know it's known for its winter fishing.
    Just curious as to what others might think on the subject.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Really, no one will talk about smallies on LR?
    Or, has the lake kicked everyones butt so bad they can't talk. Lol
    Last edited by smalliehound; 11-29-2019 at 10:17 AM.

I have never fished laurel. With it sitting so close to Dale Hollow and Lake cumberland I think people chose those two lakes over Laurel, hence the reason you don't hear a lot about it. From what I have heard your description is spot on...inconsistent but it does have decent smallmouth.

4. Member
    Never fished it either....but others mention you pretty much have to fish it regularly to have a shot. Where Gene mentioned it’s easier to go to Dale or Cumberland and have a better chance playing seasonal patterns.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    If you want a trophy 6lb+ smallie, go to Laurel. Want more numbers of 3lb-5lb smallies, hit Dale. Laurel is a gorgeous lake, but very tough to fish and the guys who have it "unlocked" and figured out aren't going to be posting about it online... I can't seem to break the 5lb 8oz mark there, but have heard about and seen the 7lb+ smallies that swim in there.

Just put in your time there (winter/spring NOT in the summer...) and you'll reap the rewards. Good luck

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

6. Member
    I've heard the guys who really know it don't talk much.
    I don't even think there's any guides on the lake.
    It's such a beautiful lake. I've seen Loons and Otters and Bald Eagles. Love it.
    It's worth putting in the hours and miles to try and land one of those tanks we know are in there.

7. Member
    I've also heard it fishes much different than Cumberland and DH. Which is strange to me since they have so many natural and physical characteristics in common right down to the same strain of smallmouth. How could they be so different?

8. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalliehound View Post
    I've heard the guys who really know it don't talk much.
    I don't even think there's any guides on the lake.
    It's such a beautiful lake. I've seen Loons and Otters and Bald Eagles. Love it.
    It's worth putting in the hours and miles to try and land one of those tanks we know are in there.
    I've also heard it fishes much different than Cumberland and DH. Which is strange to me since they have so many natural and physical characteristics in common right down to the same strain of smallmouth. How could they be so different?
    Yeah, I don't blame them for keeping their cards close to their chest. I keep my cards very close on certain lakes and/or techniques. I've taken guys to lakes I've "unlocked" and have put them on fish instantly only to have them strictly fish "my spots" with the baits I taught them instead of putting in the work themselves to find fish on other lakes or even just different spots on the lakes I've taken them to. I've had a couple guys say "it's not worth it to fish anywhere else and not catch anything" (other than where I've taken them and shown them success) or "I've got two kids...." (implying that my time was "less valuable" because I didn't have kids at the time). Needless to say I'm not sharing any more info with them nor are they ever getting in my boat again. You learn a heck of a lot more as a fisherman by putting the pieces of the puzzle together yourself while out on the water vs. fishing someone else's waypoints and baits.

Yes, Laurel fishes different than Dale or Cumberland. I don't have the answer as to why, but it does. Put in your time there during peak trophy times (winter and spring) and you'll be putting yourself in a good position to catch one of those 6lb+ smallies.

9. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    I'll never say I have it figured out or unlocked. But I can usually do very well in winter/spring.

I agree it fishes different then the other two. Like others I couldnt tell you why.

I can give you 4 generic pieces of advice.

1) In the winter you can't be scared of 50 to 60 feet of water.

2) Water temperatures are MAJORLY IMPORTANT. And a few degree difference can/will move those fish several feet in the column.

3) Pay a ton of attention to your graph. As always bait is important but not as much as the structure you are fishing. When you find the right structure WITH bait make sure you have good line!!!

4) Be patient.

10. Member
    People can be very frustrating for sure. Your attitude is understandable.
    Luckily the hours spent at LR are on one of the most beautiful lakes in the region.
    I just wish I was closer.

11. Member
    50-60 ft, Wow! I guess the float and fly is out. That sounds like vertical jigging.
    Don't you still find the two different sets of fish like in the summer? Those that go back deep and those that stay relatively shallow?

12. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    50-60 ft, Wow! I guess the float and fly is out. That sounds like vertical jigging.
    Don't you still find the two different sets of fish like in the summer? Those that go back deep and those that stay relatively shallow?
    It's very possible there are fish shallow. I always fish deep. I'd give you specifics but for me it's all water temp based.

13. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    People can be very frustrating for sure. Your attitude is understandable. I just wish I was closer.
    It's a good thing Chick isn't closer or I'd probably be divorced....

I would still throw the FnF, just do it during prime conditions. But like Chris said, don't be afraid to go deeper than "normal".

14. Member
    I guess I thought that deep water was too cold in the winter.
    I got a new Lowrance that I'm beginning to learn. And the water temp game is the critical piece to the puzzle. I got a long way to go on that one.

15. Member
    I've also heard that an overcast, rainy type day is a must in the winter. Especially, for the float n fly. Was that good advice?

16. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I've also heard that an overcast, rainy type day is a must in the winter. Especially, for the float n fly. Was that good advice?
    Yes that is good advice but I would also say it's more of a smallmouth advice thing rather than bait specific or float and fly thing...southern strain smallmouth like we have in south central KY fire up on cloudy overcast nasty weather days. In northern states you hear people talk about how smallmouth need clear, calm and sunny conditions to feed. Well that is the kiss of death for smallmouth around here. They use the shadows and ripple on the water to help camouflage their ambush of prey, hence the reason nasty weather is better to catch smallmouth.

17. Member
    It makes sense.
    And I have heard that about sunny days from some guys in Michigan. But, I'm convinced the chop on the water is a universal smallie thing. Even at night.

18. Banned
    I gave up on that place a long time ago. Much better off going to Dale or Cumberland.

19. Member
    The problem is that I'm convinced it's the best place for a smallie of a lifetime. And I like the challenge.
    I love DH but I think it's glory days have come and gone and Cumberland's may still be ahead.
    And the big producers like Watts Bar and the Tenn River are too far for a quick one day hit or even a weekend.
    When the frustration of LR gets too much I'll hit one of the others to remind myself what it's like to catch fish again.

20. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    The problem is that I'm convinced it's the best place for a smallie of a lifetime.
    It is the best lake for a 6lb+ smallie.

Like I said, put in your time there and grind it out all you'll put yourself in a good position for a smallie of a lifetime.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast