Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I broke the 5 lb mark on DH and love the lake.
    It's where my addiction to night fishing began.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Hello stranger...it's been a long while since I seen a post from you on the KY board.
    Hey There! It has indeed been a while. Thanks for saying Hi! Life has been busy with kids, business, etc. I think the fishing itch is pressing pretty hard again. Found myself looking at a few boats the other day! How have you been? Green treating you good?

I don't fish in the winter as much as I did years ago. I just go often enough to keep my itch satisfied. Green is super high due to them not starting the winter draw down because of maintenance work to the spillway basin. We had some rain in the last few weeks, so it's 16 ft over summer pool. I have no desire to fish it when its that high with a 50* water temp.

It's good to hear from you. Just recently I was thinking about people who use to post in in the KY forum on a daily basis but I have not heard from them in a long time....Alliston64,Sticks11,Daniel,MikeDelao,Billy Marlin and another user by the name JCsomething? It's been probably 15 years now that I reflect back to the time we all met on Tropper Island and had the Dale Hallow get together.

4. Member
    It's good to hear from you. Just recently I was thinking about people who use to post in in the KY forum on a daily basis but I have not heard from them in a long time....Alliston64,Sticks11,Daniel,MikeDelao,Billy Marlin and another user by the name JCsomething? It's been probably 15 years now that I reflect back to the time we all met on Tropper Island and had the Dale Hallow get together.
    I remember that one Gene, was a good time with a great group of guys. I remember going to the dock in the morning and everyone’s boats were frozen over in the crisp 14 degree air. Lol
    A.J. Kelty Versailles KY
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

5. Member
    That was actually my first trip to Dale. It certainly started a fire inside me for many years down there!! AJ...good to see you post too! Been a long time bud. How you been?
    Gene....Sticks (Eric Scroggin) is doing great. Married and raising a few kids with a very successful real estate business buying, selling and building all over Lou Metro area. I think Mike is selling vehicles still and doing great with that but I haven't talked to him in about a year maybe. JC25 (Jeff Canterbury) is living in North Carolina and has a little one on the way. Last I saw, Billy was living in Florida. I still talk to Bob Peebles from time to time too. Lots of great memories with guys I met on here.

I also caught up with BuzzKing the other day via Linkedin. He's living in South Carolina now and seems to be doing great.

6. Member
    Oh yeah...Daniel is still not smiling in pictures. He hunts a lot now too. His son is all grown up!!!

7. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Matt good to see you on here again!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I remember that one Gene, was a good time with a great group of guys. I remember going to the dock in the morning and everyone’s boats were frozen over in the crisp 14 degree air. Lol

I recall fishing that one with Daniel. For some reason we used my boat. I pulled it out of my warm garage and did not stop until I was at the restaurant on the square in Burkesville. When we came out to get in the truck my boat was one large frosty ice cube. When we got to the ramp it would not turn over. When I hit the key lights just flashed. We used the trolling motor to go from the ramp to trooper island. Once the sun got up and it unthawed it fired right up. As you said morning temp was in the teens but it did warm up to 50* by noon...another old memory is the Hooters girls for the Rough River get together. I think sticks was dating one? and her name was Stacey?

9. Member
    Hey Matt, I’ve been doing good buddy it has been a long time! Not as active on here as I used to be but still hop on often. How about you, how have you been? I haven’t talked to Bob in forever how’s he doing?

Gene, don’t remind me of Rough..... that’s the one I blew my power head on my old Blazer at the other end of the lake. Allen Marshall took my partner and our fish in then came back and towed me all the way back in, great guy. Second day my partner fished with Allen and I fished with Bob Peebles first time meeting him. I remember he and I ragging on each other that whole day funny as hell.
    Last edited by A.J.; 12-13-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    A.J. Kelty Versailles KY
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

10. Member
    Hey I want to get in on the reunion! I remember that 6lber Matt! We about sunk that Tracker trying to land it.

11. Member
    Matt, good to see you posting again.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpage70 View Post
    Hey I want to get in on the reunion! I remember that 6lber Matt! We about sunk that Tracker trying to land it.
    Hey David! Dang good to see you on here too. That was a fun day for sure man. And you're right...that boat had all it could hold when we were trying to land her! Hahaha! That was a cool day!!!

AJ...Bob is doing great. His kids are all grown up now and he's still doing safety consulting all across the state. He used to come to Louisville a lot and would always have dinner with us but I haven't heard from him in a few months now.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Matt, good to see you posting again.
    Thanks Les and Chris. Good to catch up with everyone too.

Yes sir, present and accounted for, I actually stumbled on this thread because I saw one of Phil’s(stratos 284)-44 mag lure retrievers on tackle warehouse and dropped in to see if I recognized any of you sticks. Glad some of y’all are still holding down the fort.

Great group of fishermen and friends!

I recall fishing that one with Daniel. For some reason we used my boat. I pulled it out of my warm garage and did not stop until I was at the restaurant on the square in Burkesville. When we came out to get in the truck my boat was one large frosty ice cube. When we got to the ramp it would not turn over. When I hit the key lights just flashed. We used the trolling motor to go from the ramp to trooper island. Once the sun got up and it unthawed it fired right up. As you said morning temp was in the teens but it did warm up to 50* by noon...another old memory is the Hooters girls for the Rough River get together. I think sticks was dating one? and her name was Stacey?
    I remember that morning well. I think these came from that day
    000_0045.JPG000_0046.JPG000_0048.JPG

16. Member
    Wow, that's a picture of Daniel with a smile . Good to see some of the old bunch posting again.

17. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    I remember that morning well. I think these came from that day
    000_0045.JPG000_0046.JPG000_0048.JPG

Lots of good memories made for me that day, so many I want to share them with everyone...

First it was 15* at daylight that morning. This is the only time I have ever had my boat fail to start. When I turned on the key all it would do is flash lights on the system gauge tachometer. Once the sun came and the temp got above freezing it fired right up. Looking back I am kind of glad it did not start because the ride over from the State Park ramp to Trooper Island on the trolling motor was less cold than if we had ran the big motor

Re-guarding the pictures...In the fist picture I am holding up one of the few smallmouth I had ever caught using the float n fly method up until that time. Daniel was much more experienced than me in the technique so he was showing me some pointers. The thing I recall the most is two different ways he showed me how to "work" the fly. One of the ways I remember he told me was, after the cast was made and the fly settled down to point the rod tip straight at the bobber and shake the rod tip just like I was pointing my finger at a kid and scolding them. I did not have to even see the picture to recall where I caught that fish using that method.

Re-guarding picture number 3...This is a epic story to tell. We never really called it a tournament. It was always referred to as a get together and a tournament was just a side pot venture. Anyways after the weigh-in we are standing on the floating dock at Trooper Island. This was around the time the float and fly method was really starting to gain popularity on Dale Hollow. People were asking Daniel questions about it so he grabs his rod and starts to explain the set up. He explains the importance of a 10 ft long limber rod with 6 lb line main line and a 4 lb leader that is 10-12 ft long and how important a three way swivel is and how important the the weighed "Bob's Bobber" is and how it is suppose to be attached directly to the three way swivel. It was a FnF seminar 101. Anyways standing on the floating dock Daniel makes a cast out into the lake to demonstrate how to cast a rig with a 10 ft leader. After it hits the water and settles down he starts working the bobber. Next thing we know its bobber down and the fight is on. Some start cheering and some start trash talking all while Daniel is fighting a feisty smallmouth. After a couple jumps Daniel lands the fish and we all give him a standing ovation of applause...rarely will you see Daniel smile in a picture. We used to poke at him all the time about it but this moment was so epic I don't think he could of held back a smile if he wanted to. Lost of good memories made that day ...Hard to believe it will soon be 15 years ago.
    Last edited by JR19; 01-09-2020 at 05:27 PM.

18. Member
    Hey Jeff & Daniel hope you guys have been doing well! Hard to believe that was almost 15yrs ago what a fun trip.
    A.J. Kelty Versailles KY
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

We're all doing well, I'm old, kids grown, one even married. 15 years has flown by. Gene, there's really no reason we cant fish at green in the spring!

20. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Gene, there's really no reason we cant fish at green in the spring!

yes we can still make a spring trip to green...although we have not talked for a long time I still kept up how you were doing via your cousin Mike W. I had told him multiple times to say hello from me. Now that Mike no longer works where I do I have kind of lost contact with you. I don't do Facebook, about the only social media I do is this website on one other forum. You can always contact me here or if you still have my cell it is the same number I have always had. I still have your cell number but it is a number from several years ago.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast