Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Drotto boat latch on 188, it's great!

I've only been out 5-6 times but can already tell this is a good addition to my trailer. With the Trick Steps I installed earlier loading/unloading by myself is not an issue now.

I used the ranger model but didn't need the roller. It won't fit with the angle of the bow and the boat doesn't strike the Drotto on launch so the roller isn't needed on the RT.

Time will tell on quality but it looks very well made.

Pfish

2. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I just ordered Trick Steps last week. They are the best thing for getting into your boat without a dock. Super nice people, too.
    https://trickstep.com/ranger/

3. Member
    On the Drotto, does anyone know if you would need the extra "Bow Drop Bracket" on a 1652 G3 tinny? I can't say that I have noticed any "bow drop" but I am not in a position to see much when launching or loading.

Please post a picture(s) of the Drotto on your RT trailer. I would like to see the angles of the setup. Thanks.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Please post a picture(s) of the Drotto on your RT trailer. I would like to see the angles of the setup. Thanks.
    I left it just slightly loose so that it will pivot as it backs off the trailer and then as it loads. The only issue I am having now is the #$*%&#^ boat doesn't always want to load correctly. It's just a piss poor trailer design it seems. My ranger glass just slides right on and centers the boat but this freaking aluminum just wants to sit "any old way" as I pull it out of the water. By looking at forums it's a common issue.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    I left it just slightly loose so that it will pivot as it backs off the trailer and then as it loads. The only issue I am having now is the #$*%&#^ boat doesn't always want to load correctly. It's just a piss poor trailer design it seems. My ranger glass just slides right on and centers the boat but this freaking aluminum just wants to sit "any old way" as I pull it out of the water. By looking at forums it's a common issue.
    I thought it was just me! I have been loading tin boats my entire life and have had no issues until now.
    2019 Ranger rt188
    Merc 115 Pro xs ct
    Minn Kota Edge 70
    Tempest 21p

So does the Drotto leave you room on the bow eye to connect your winch strap and safety strap? Can you still use your winch to bring the boat up to the Drotto if your engine wasnt running or you were in a no gasoline motors lake? Does the Drotto give a safe surface for the bow to ride against going down the road like a roller does?

8. Member
    Good questions.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerjeff View Post
    I thought it was just me! I have been loading tin boats my entire life and have had no issues until now.
    It's not just you and apparently this has been an issue for some time. I was talking to a guy with a 2016 188 at the ramp and that was the first thing out of his mouth. Unless I can find a fix there may be a trade in my near future. A guy loaded a Vexus next to me the other day and it slid right on. He said it was much easier than the RT he had before. Might sound like a picky complaint until a person has spend 30 minutes in and out of the boat trying to get it "just right" so he can go home.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    So does the Drotto leave you room on the bow eye to connect your winch strap and safety strap? Can you still use your winch to bring the boat up to the Drotto if your engine wasnt running or you were in a no gasoline motors lake? Does the Drotto give a safe surface for the bow to ride against going down the road like a roller does?
    Yes to all....

11. Member
    I put another set of bunks on my rt188 trailer and it loads just fine . Cost less than 100.00 dollars

I added slip sticks to my bunks on m RT 198P, as I fish salt and brackish water, and don't have any problems loading the rig. IF you add Slip Sticks, DO NOT unhook your boat until you want it off the trailer! When new, the boat WILL slide off. no matter what.

Looking at the Drotto. I wish they made a S.S. version.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rng518 View Post
    I put another set of bunks on my rt188 trailer and it loads just fine . Cost less than 100.00 dollars
    Did you make them or buy them> What location on the trailer for the new bunks?

I'm seriously at the end of my rope with this thing.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    I added slip sticks to my bunks on m RT 198P, as I fish salt and brackish water, and don't have any problems loading the rig. IF you add Slip Sticks, DO NOT unhook your boat until you want it off the trailer! When new, the boat WILL slide off. no matter what.

Looking at the Drotto. I wish they made a S.S. version.
    I tried silicone spray on mine and it works great on more shallow ramps. The issue comes when I am on a step enough ramp that the back of the boat floats until I pull it out of the water. It won't sit straight down on the trailer and gets up on the bunk on one side.

I don't even want to think about loading it in a current :-(

15. Member
    I have trouble in my vt17 from time to time. Typically the trailer is in too deep though. It doesnt need much in the water.

16. Member
    PVC uprights have been on my last 6 boats. Wouldn't leave the dock without them. $80.00 or so and worth it.

17. Member
    Very seldom does it go on right the first time. Usually just pull out and bounce it over if anybody is around. Been boating over 40 years.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

18. Member
    The videos on the site make it look so easy. Here is link. https://www.boat2trailerhookup.com/. I wonder how the post on the trailer will hold up as it appears you are basically power loading and there have been several guys post about their welds coming loose on the post. I think the newer rangers have a better post design that eliminates this problem. I dont seem to have any problem getting my 188 to load straight. I just back the trailer down to where the side bunks are just below the water and drive it on within about a foot of the post and winch it the last foot . Some ramps are steeper which can cause some problems but overall it seems to work for me.

19. Member
    I made them and installed them . Between the long bunks toward the centerline of the trailer. 6ft long inline with the back end of the existing bunks .

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    I tried silicone spray on mine and it works great on more shallow ramps. The issue comes when I am on a step enough ramp that the back of the boat floats until I pull it out of the water. It won't sit straight down on the trailer and gets up on the bunk on one side.

I don't even want to think about loading it in a current :-(
    I learned this on here! TOO deep! Now, I back in until the water touches the marker light on the front of the fender (step) and haven't had an issue since?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast