What is a good starter bike for a new rider?

Looking for advice on price range and bike type to get some riding experience on before purchasing what I really want. I'm thinking 3k and under on price. I want something ready to ride without having to do much of any maintenance on before getting it on the street. Eventually I'm looking to move over into a Triumph Bonneville Bobber or Speed Twin once I gain enough experience.

Can I expect to find something in that price range without any issues? What comparable bikes should I look at for similar riding styles as the Triumphs I listed above?

The first thing for you to do is arrange to take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Basic Riders Course. MSF furnishes the bikes and I believe it's a two-day course. It will be a great learning experience for you. I've been riding since I was 14 and I'm 71 now. When MSF started offering the BRC in my area back in the 90's, I jumped at the chance. It made me a much better rider even though I'd been riding all those years (I never kept count of the miles I've ridden until the late 90's). Since I started counting I've ridden just over 120,000 safe miles. That safety record is due in large part to my MSF training. They also offer an Experienced Riders Course that you take on your own motorcycle. I take that class every few years as a refresher. In addition to learning THE CORRECT way to ride, the instructors will be glad to recommend a bike for you. Good luck and ride safe!

Quote Originally Posted by mysuzytoo View Post
    The first thing for you to do is arrange to take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Basic Riders Course. MSF furnishes the bikes and I believe it's a two-day course. It will be a great learning experience for you. I've been riding since I was 14 and I'm 71 now. When MSF started offering the BRC in my area back in the 90's, I jumped at the chance. It made me a much better rider even though I'd been riding all those years (I never kept count of the miles I've ridden until the late 90's). Since I started counting I've ridden just over 120,000 safe miles. That safety record is due in large part to my MSF training. They also offer an Experienced Riders Course that you take on your own motorcycle. I take that class every few years as a refresher. In addition to learning THE CORRECT way to ride, the instructors will be glad to recommend a bike for you. Good luck and ride safe!
    100% agree with this.

4. Member
    I've already taken the class and got my motorcycle rating on my drivers license. Problem is this was 5 plus years ago. Wonder if I can take the refresher course? I still have the study materials and was going to review them and just practice riding around a low traffic area once I got the appropriate bike.

I took my first safety course 2 yrs ago when I decided to get back on motorcycles. Even at that time, the instructor mentioned taking a refresher course. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem since it is obviously for safety reasons. And, each spring I take my booklet with me to an empty parking lot a short way from our house, then practice the skills portion.

Honda Shadow A.C.E. 750 always looked like a good starter bike to me. They are usually pretty available on Craig's list for a fair price. Should be a good bike to last you more than two months of getting used to riding. Many people buy the Kawasaki Ninja 250's for a beginner bike. Many are available with only a few thousand miles because they want to get rid of them shortly after learning to ride.

7. Member
    Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic. Looks just like Heritage Softail Classic. Just large enough but not to big, fuel injected also.

Pretty hard to beat a Hondaw Shadow. 750 or 1100 can be bought in pristene condition for $3k or less. Very simply reliable and easy to ride.

9. Member
    The Shadow is going to be hard to beat. Buy used, tank care of it and you should get most of your money back when/if you are ready for something else.

10. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions!