NEW 4S 250 SMOKING

(#2B643879) The motor will smoke on start up once or twice a day , motor has 22 hours and was broke in correctly.I took it to the dealer and Mercury is tell dealer its not broke in and i need to go through the break in process again? anyone else had this issue ?
    Brian Brown
    S2 Marine Pro Team
    Blazer Boats Pro Team
    Mercury Pro Team
    Power Pole Pro Staff

2. Member
    I would check the oil level to see if it was overfilled.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

How about before you shut it off to fish you bump the trim up for a second or two before letting it sit for an hour or more while fishing.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Two things:

-Has the oil been changed?

-What is the current oil level (as in "which yellow ball does the oil level reach" when checked per the instructions in the Engine Owner's Manual)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Mine does it if I leave it trimmed down a little too much after a run and fishing awhile, trim it up and all should be good

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Two things:

-Has the oil been changed?

-What is the current oil level (as in "which yellow ball does the oil level reach" when checked per the instructions in the Engine Owner's Manual)?
    You're slipping , no serial number. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TBBROWN View Post
    (#2B643879) The motor will smoke on start up once or twice a day , motor has 22 hours and was broke in correctly.I took it to the dealer and Mercury is tell dealer its not broke in and i need to go through the break in process again? anyone else had this issue ?
    Maybe I need glasses again, but I sure thought I saw a serial number right there at the beginning of the first post (where it should be).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Mine smokes too...kinda like da smell.

22R

Allison XB2002 / Merc 150 XR6

10. Member
    The Dealer should have checked the oil level and no it still has the factory oil , this isn't my first 4s been running Yamaha's since 2013 and never had any issues . The break in with Yamaha is way more than the Mercury.
    Brian Brown
    S2 Marine Pro Team
    Blazer Boats Pro Team
    Mercury Pro Team
    Power Pole Pro Staff

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TBBROWN View Post
    The Dealer should have checked the oil level and no it still has the factory oil , this isn't my first 4s been running Yamaha's since 2013 and never had any issues . The break in with Yamaha is way more than the Mercury.
    Brian... Good idea to review Page 63 of the Engine Owner's Manual (Maintenance and Checks that should be performed before EACH USE). Check the engine oil level... today's level is far more important than what it might have been 22 hours ago.