Help wiring Protrim

Hoping someone out there can help me find correct wires under dash to wire in protrim on my 2004 Ranger 521vx. Found an old post that says should be blue, green and red wires with white stripes but only seeing a blue one of that description. Anyone added and know correct wires for this boat? Wiring diagram in owners manual shows blue and green.

I don't know the technical answer to your question but I can give a little help...the easiest way to remember what color wires are trim up and trim down is "blue sky up" "green grass down".

Trim wires have a standard color code. They are not color specific for the boat or motor so all boats/motors made in the year class you're inquiring about should be the same color. Someone will be along with the information you are seeking.

As a suggestion look at the trim wires on your trim stations. Your boat should have one at the motor that will be easy to see with the hood removed. You could always remove the switch at the bow or dive ito the gearshift but that would require a little work. I suspect once you remove the hood you can see the wires going to the trim switch on the big motor and see what colors you have.

3. Member
    Thanks! I’ll check under the hood and hopefully the wires under the hood are the same same color wires under dash making their way to fuse box in front compartment. Surely they are.

4. Member
    I think it depends on your engine more than your boat. Post this question in the appropriate engine forum and im sure you will find the info you seek. Some very helpful and knowledgeable people on them. Read the post requirements first. IE have you engine sn to post as well. Good luck

5. Member
    Thanks for advice! New to forum

Hopefully these points will help you understand the wiring on your boat:
    - there are two separate wiring harnesses involved, the motor harness and the boat harness.
    - the trim circuit is on the motor wiring harness and the blue and green wires are routed to your throttle/shift lever in the motor harness. There will be a connector on or near the shift bracket to allow connecting to these two wires. This is where the trim switch on the bow connects to the motor circuit. This is where the blue and green wire from your Pro Trim has to connect. As mentioned previously, blue is up and green is down.
    - this pic shows the connection of the trim switch on the bow and is what you want to duplicate with the Pro Trim.

- I don’t think you will find the two trim wires under the console.
    - the blue wire under the console can be confusing. On my Ranger, this is a fused hot wire. Actually it should be connected to the red wire on your Pro Trim thereby supplying power to the circuit.
    - in all probability, you will have to remove the shift lever and run the blue and green wire from the pro trim from under the console to the blue and green on the motor harness.
    - this is standard wiring practice, and is intended to help you understand the circuit, there may be some variance in your circumstance.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

7. Member
    Thanks for thorough explanation! I was afraid I would have to go at it this way and started to do so initially. However I had trouble figuring out how to remove the fuel tank selector in trying to remove the side panel. Wouldn’t have to have any tips on that aspect of the repair job would you?

8. Member
    If you have trouble under the dash finding the correct wires, you can always fish two wires up to the bow panel and tap into the trim button wires there.

9. Member
    Thanks! I bet that would be easiest way to go at this point.

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Wire harness from the bow should run right down the starboard side under the top cap to the helm area. Should have the red, blue, green harness from the control area tap in there.

11. Member
    K. Going to go look later and see if I can track it down. Thanks!!

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you can't find them bring it down I'm about 45 minutes away, easy drive down 27 to Capital Cir, west to 319.

13. Member
    K thanks!

14. Member
    For anyone who might need help in future found blue and green trim wires under console with a test light in smaller bundle of wires that looked like they likely came from motor. Used splice connectors and good to go!! Thanks again to those who offered advice! Ready to fish now!��

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aricaldridge View Post
    For anyone who might need help in future found blue and green trim wires under console with a test light in smaller bundle of wires that looked like they likely came from motor. Used splice connectors and good to go!! Thanks again to those who offered advice! Ready to fish now!��
    thanks for the update. I’ll be doing this job in a couple of weeks

16. Member
    Just let me know if anything I can help you with! Good luck!