TDR Reed valves and injector cleaning/calibration

I have a '97 Merc 200 EFI SN 0G350446.
    There has been little use on this motor before I bought it, all original that I can tell. I would like to replace the reed valves with a TDR set and get the injectors calibrated. I am able to do the labor and get these removed and sent off. Question is, am I at risk of anything by doing this on my own and installing updated parts compared to bringing to a shop and having it done along with checking the rest of the motor out.
    The motor runs great, a bit rough when idling around (which is why I am looking at reeds and injectors), but once throttle is applied it takes off like a rocket when it hits 2500 rpm or so.

2. BBC SPONSOR
    call to discuss you’re reed valves and Injector service, we can help with any of these needs, and more, 305-394-3354, Chris

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    We sell (and install) TDR Reeds, and our Integrity Injection service handles any service you would need in the fuel system.

I would recommend that you have at least a moderate mechanical aptitude, and a Factory Service Manual if you intend to remove, install and setup the system yourself.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I could not resist on commenting on this, Don you kinda know my background of over fifty year in the Auto repair bussiness, mostly specilizing in the High tech area of the field an performing all my outboard work myself. Of all the tech with their auto experiance, there are very few I would trust to work on the fuel and intake systems on my motors,
    The ones I would the most confidence in are the younger ones that are not over confident and every one says they are to anel, The ones that go strictly By The book guys that are slower but pay atention to small details, Many with some hands on fall into this category and have no qualms admitting what they don't know and will ask for help
    You may or may not realize how much you have helped me by direct answers and by me following your post for a very long time, as I am a old timer that is overly confident at times, Thank for the times you do correct me
    With the proper service Manuel, your help and a person that falls into the category's above I think the op may actual do better than many Marine Techs
    I did not write this to discourage only to encourage the OP, so please do not take this in a negitive manner
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    What's involved in putting it back in service? It's not plug and play?
    I would like to service my fuel system and change reeds as well.
    Thanks

2001 Merc 150L efi OT279244

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Easy to do,with some simple instructions...give a call and we can go over the process,reeds,injector and vst service,305-394-3354,Chris

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdawg View Post
    What's involved in putting it back in service? It's not plug and play?
    I would like to service my fuel system and change reeds as well.
    Thanks

2001 Merc 150L efi OT279244
    Pretty straightforward- reinstall/assemble per the Mercury Service Manual, and then perform a complete Sync-n-Link procedure (as shown in the Engine Synchronization and Adjustments section of the Mercury Service Manual).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Carson reeds for sure! Adjust your TPI to .250 and go!

9. Member
    Don Weed and TDR reeds are IMO the best in the planet !!

Jay @ JSRE
    JSRE
    www.jaysmithracingengines.com
    832 597 2603 cst

10. Member
    Can't really go wrong with either CCR or TDR reeds, I'm running CCRs and had Don do my injectors, can definitely notice the idle and mid range punch in my 200 XRI
    1995 ChampioN 190 1995 Mercury 200 XRI Lowrance Ghost

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Dads190 View Post
    Can't really go wrong with either CCR or TDR reeds, I'm running CCRs and had Don do my injectors, can definitely notice the idle and mid range punch in my 200 XRI
    Thanks for the acknowledgement,seems we sell a lot more reeds here than folks mention.At any rate,we manufacture reeds for just about any outboard,in most any use,from stock,moderately modded,to all out racing.Matching the reed type to the running parameters really fine tunes the motor.We were the first,using a flowbench, to design an appropriate reed to replace the troublesome optimax steel reeds,and have hundreds of them in service.If you wish we can lap your cages,install your new reeds,and provide any necessary gaskets..and advice.We strive to provide top quality reeds,at a fair price,and offer the best in customer service.
    We are happy to offer fuel injection service,fast and accurate injector cleaning and matching,and any associated service needed including VST and fuel/air rail service.
    Thank you again for your patronage,Chris

12. Member
    i bought some ccr reeds a couple years ago and had a small problem with the install and called Chris, and he spent 20 minutes with me on the phone telling how to lap them in and a bunch of other stuff,there is some great people here on bbc and his prices are very good,its hard to beat whoever you deal with on here all a bunch of great people