Solix/Basemap install issue

Had a couple days off so decided was good time to move the Solix 10 G1 had on my kayak over to the new boat with the 2 Helix 12 G3Ns. Updated the Solix to 3.500 with no issue, except the basemaps were gone. No big deal, just download and reinstall. Nope, install goes pretty quick up to 18% and then just sits there. Not sure if it's hung up or still installing. I let it sit for over an hour the first time and then pulled the power and let it fail. Re-downloaded the install files and put them on a brand new microSD card and got the same thing, pretty quick up to 18% and stops. I reset to factory default before second attempt, but didn't make any difference.

Anybody else see any issue with 3.500 and the basemaps? Or have issues with the Basemap install? Do I just need to be patient and let it go for longer? The Basemap download is almost 6GB of files and I know the internal processing of the G1 Solix is not a powerhouse by any means.

I had no issue with the 3.5 install and the base map was still there
    I know the base map did take some time when I installed it but not an hour
    I will say I’ve seen a few people recently post that they have had issues after the 3.5 update
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    I have the same issue.
    noticed base maps had vanished after 3.5 install. As I don't use mapping often I didn't worry about it.
    last night on the PC I noticed I had the original basemap download in a file, so I put it on an SD card.
    popped in unit and went to bed after it stayed on 18% for 15 mins. Left it powered up all night 7 hours later it's still at
    18%.
    Downloaded fresh to SD card from HB.com. Install stopping at 18% again. Was checking on here to see if I missed something and your post came up.

HB download has some conflicts with the install instructions, (see below)
    but just reading this part I've cut out to me it infers base map should be installed at the same time as unit software greater than 3.110????

i had mentioned before about an issue with GPS not locating sat lock, my AGM battery was testing good but was weak under load.
    now it's powered by Lithium it's slower than before to show correct time but I haven't had to reboot unit.

"
    • Your unit is on a software version lower than 3.110
    • Your BaseMap software version is NOT equal to 1.031.

You can check this in the System Info menu. If your unit meets these two criteria, please follow the instructions below.
    Software Prerequisites

In order to install the Humminbird Basemap, you must:

1. Get an SD card with enough space to accommodate the software update (SOLIX, ONIX/ION 3.110 or later) and Humminbird Basemap files. We recommend using a 16 GB, Class 10 card with a minimum of 11 GB of free space for any SOLIX, ONIX and ION models."

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_C View Post
    I have the same issue.
    noticed base maps had vanished after 3.5 install. As I don't use mapping often I didn't worry about it.
    last night on the PC I noticed I had the original basemap download in a file, so I put it on an SD card.
    popped in unit and went to bed after it stayed on 18% for 15 mins. Left it powered up all night 7 hours later it's still at
    18%.
    Downloaded fresh to SD card from HB.com. Install stopping at 18% again. Was checking on here to see if I missed something and your post came up.

HB download has some conflicts with the install instructions, (see below)
    but just reading this part I've cut out to me it infers base map should be installed at the same time as unit software greater than 3.110????

i had mentioned before about an issue with GPS not locating sat lock, my AGM battery was testing good but was weak under load.
    now it's powered by Lithium it's slower than before to show correct time but I haven't had to reboot unit.

"
    • Your unit is on a software version lower than 3.110
    • Your BaseMap software version is NOT equal to 1.031.

You can check this in the System Info menu. If your unit meets these two criteria, please follow the instructions below.
    Software Prerequisites

In order to install the Humminbird Basemap, you must:

1. Get an SD card with enough space to accommodate the software update (SOLIX, ONIX/ION 3.110 or later) and Humminbird Basemap files. We recommend using a 16 GB, Class 10 card with a minimum of 11 GB of free space for any SOLIX, ONIX and ION models."
    I'm sure you checked the chart menu to make sure that Humminbird Basemap is still the selected map source. :)

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. I tried ever combination known to man and kept locking up @ 18%. I called Humminbird tech support yesterday and they had me try a few things (that I had already tried) but no luck. Sending my unit back tomorrow for them to fix.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jym View Post
    I'm sure you checked the chart menu to make sure that Humminbird Basemap is still the selected map source. :)
    I sure did, was one of the first things I checked.

7. Member
    Same here.
    The only thing I’ve not done as I need the unit for the next 4 days is to export what I want to keep
    and restore The whole unit.

Wouldn’t mind an update from OP. jdajr when you get yours back.
    Difficult this side of the Pond to send ours for repair and to be honest the base maps
    are for your side but I find the HB map has more inland waters on it than the Navionics
    chart I have. And with my zero lines I can make my own charts for where I fish.

Happy Thanksgiving
    Last edited by Andy_C; 11-28-2019 at 12:03 PM.

8. Member
    Had the same issue with my Solix 12, called HB and they said that I would have to return the unit to them, which I did, now all is good.

9. Member
    Just contacted HB on live chat.
    Confirmed it’s a problem they have experienced before.
    I have to return for repair for the unit to be re-imaged.
    Hope our uk support is as good as yours.

10. Member
    Just wanted to give an update on my experience with HB customer support. I sent in my Solix 10 last Saturday to get re-flashed. They got it late Tuesday, made it to a tech on Thursday and got re-flased. They shipped it back out Thursday night and will have the unit back (according to UPS tracking) tomorrow. 7 days from time of shipping from Virginia to Alabama, fixed, shipped back and in my hands again. I thought was pretty damn good.

Have to give some big kudos to HB customer support. I never had to wait more than a few minutes on the phone the couple times I talked to them on the phone and the very quick turn around!

Will definitely be purchasing more HB stuff in the future and damn if the new MEGA 360 don't look SWEET!

Will update after I get the unit back tomorrow if anything is out of the ordinary.

11. Member
    That's great to hear as I sent them my unit yesterday

12. Member
    Update with my Unit. .
    It turns out there is NO European service repair for Humminbird units.
    I had to return my unit to my dealer who returned it to the UK importer who shipped my Solix back to Eufaula
    Just under three weeks and 9000 mile round trip I have my Solix back.

Cant thank my dealer enough as his tenacity made it happen. The best part is all those involved collected the tab.
    all it cost me was a case of beer

& a big thank you to BBC members for posting as it helped strengthen my case.

To you all and remember if you have to loose your unit for repair have comfort knowing you have support to fix it.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL