Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

motormate or transom saver?

Which do you guys prefer

2. Member
    Motormate

Motormate is the way to go.
    Dawnpatrol.
    Goin Fishing be home for Hunting Season !!!!!!!!!

4. Member
    For what it is worth I am doing fine with my transom saver. I was going to purchase and try the Motormate but this spring they did not have a model for the Mercury 4 strokes.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

5. Member
    Motormate.

6. Member
    I recently bought a 2017 519 that came with a transom saver, and no steering locks, the motor wanted to move side to side and would move on rough roads. I had a 1996 363 for 23 years with a transom saver and it worked fine. I Decided to try the motormate for the new boat and I noticed right away that the engine stays locked in with no movement. I just towed the boat 600 miles this last week and the motormate worked great. The rough roads did not transfer to the engine. I don’t know which one is best for your boat but the motormate is my choice for now.

7. Member
    Another vote for Motormate.
    2001 Ranger 205VS/225 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by bnagel11 View Post
    Which do you guys prefer

Based on the question above, motormate...however if you have an Evinrude I know of a better option.

I’ve used both...Motormate is the easiest. I like FLW Pro Todd Castledines...big chunk of wood with two eye bolts and a rubber strap!

Transom Saver with a bungee......no movement and never a problem. I just can't see how Motormate or others of that ilk takes weight off the transom. This is strictly my opinion and open to flame by others.

11. Member
    DD26Fishing transonic saver and steering clips!

12. Member
    Another MotorMate vote
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

13. Member
    If motormate would release the 4 stroke Merc transom saver, I would order one in a heartbeat. Used one for my Opti for 6 years and it was awesome.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

14. Member
    BPS has Motor Mates at 20% off starting Monday, 12/02.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Based on the question above, motormate...however if you have an Evinrude I know of a better option.
    what is the other option for Evinrudes?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IDCI07 View Post
    Built in.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

17. Member
    I know this was not an option, but I just ordered the new RMP Pro XS transom saver from Russell Marine Products, since he is a board sponsor and it was on Black Friday sale. Hopefully it’s a good product for my New 2019 200 Pro XS 4 stroke. Anybody try one? Comes with the steering clips as well.

18. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JHelms View Post
    Built in.

Correct...for over 20 years Evinrude has had a flip down trailer bracket built into the motor mount. I don't know why but very few people use it. Myself, I have pulled my rude thousands of miles over the years and I have had zero issues. Heck when I re-powered in 2014 that motor has never seen a transom saver. All its ever seen is the built in factory bracket. The 1999 motor I had I used a traditional transom saver for a few years but started using the factory flip down bracket the last few years I owned the motor. If this was a bad design then it would not still be made on the motor over 20+ years later. It has withstood the test of time so it must be a good design and this is why I don't understand why people don't use it.

Now I will add if you use the factory flip down bracket you will need something to keep the motor from moving left to right. I use steering stops on my hydraulic steering arms. The one I use are homemade but you can buy a set from TH marine.

Here is a post I made 12 years ago with pictures on how to make steer stops...imagine how many miles I have pulled in the last 12 year and I have had zero issues using the factory flip down bracket...its easy and there is NO storage involved because its built into the motor....read this post... http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=167123

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    I know this was not an option, but I just ordered the new RMP Pro XS transom saver from Russell Marine Products, since he is a board sponsor and it was on Black Friday sale. Hopefully it’s a good product for my New 2019 200 Pro XS 4 stroke. Anybody try one? Comes with the steering clips as well.
    I ordered one as well since motor mate doesn't have theirs released yet for the new 4 stroke.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

20. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I love the T-H Marine transom saver built for the G2. It’s compact, solid as a rock, holds the weight of the motor *and* stops side-to-side movement, plus it’s the quickest to put in place and remove of any transom saver I’ve ever used.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast