Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Caracal mercury or Yamaha ?

Will be looking at getting in a Caracal in the spring my engine choice is the new mercury 225 4 stroke or the SHO .. What u think guys ? I have had great luck with my 07 ETEC but dealership doesn't carry ETEC. Top speed isn't a real a factor i want fastest hole shoot and mid range handling.

Find a G2 dealer.... I had a SHO on my 2015 Caracal. Was a PITA. Love my G2. Significantly better holeshot.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

3. Member
    Flip a coin. I’m a Merc guy and been running them since 1984. Yeah, I know, I’m old. They both make a great products so I think you gotta just make a pro/con list and go with whoever wins. The new Merc pro sx is one bad sounding machine though.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

4. Member
    g2 worth the drive!!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    I vote SHO they are a little quicker the the 4 stroke Mercury stock . I have a friend that flashed his and it’s running 80 plus in a Caracal.Right now Yamaha is giving a 6 year Warranty free .But the new Mercury’s are also fantastic engines. I don’t know anything about G2 motors I have had 7-2 stroke Pro XS. Mercury’s and 2 SHO s in the last 15 years with near 0 issues with any of them. I think hole shot and top end goes to Yamaha and mid range is better on the new Pro XS.

6. Member
    Best engine repair tech in your area would get my vote. Would suck to drive 3 hours to find a reputable tech.?
    Basscat!

The choice is really a personal choice decision.

Quote Originally Posted by GRR884 View Post
    Best engine repair tech in your area would get my vote. Would suck to drive 3 hours to find a reputable tech.?
    This is what I would base my decision on.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GWK64 View Post
    I vote SHO they are a little quicker the the 4 stroke Mercury stock . I have a friend that flashed his and it’s running 80 plus in a Caracal.Right now Yamaha is giving a 6 year Warranty free .But the new Mercury’s are also fantastic engines. I don’t know anything about G2 motors I have had 7-2 stroke Pro XS. Mercury’s and 2 SHO s in the last 15 years with near 0 issues with any of them. I think hole shot and top end goes to Yamaha and mid range is better on the new Pro XS.
    reflashing would void all warranties likely?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

10. Member
    Hydro Tech says no and they are the largest Yamaha warranty center out there

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRR884 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ This for sure. From one of your posts, I assume Red River Marine, close to you, will be your dealership, who sells and services Yamaha. If their service department has a good reputation, that would be my choice.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ This for sure. From one of your posts, I assume Red River Marine, close to you, will be your dealership, who sells and services Yamaha. If their service department has a good reputation, that would be my choice.
    Yea thats where the interesting part comes in i love the ETEC but the only etec service is a ranger dealer .. I am still on the fence for sure i have been in a Ranger for years and want to make the swap to Basscat. If they sold and maintained G2 it wouldnt be any questions just weighing all my options.

13. Member
    If they service g2’s doesn’t matter what boat it’s on?
    given between merc or Yamaha I’d go with the merc. I was unimpressed by the Yamaha compared to the merc. Just my opinion.
    but that g2 has one heck of a low end punch

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GWK64 View Post
    Hydro Tech says no and they are the largest Yamaha warranty center out there
    This was discussed on the Yamaha forum.
    Flashing and leaving the rev limiter alone is acceptable.
    Raising the limiter, and, over reving, can cause warranty issues.

15. Member
    What reliable motor repair center is nearest you? That would be a big factor in my decision

16. Member
    Everyone I know that has a flashed SHO has Not changed the limiter including my friend with the Caracal .Sorry all for not putting that in my post.

17. BBC SPONSOR
    I have a 2019 with the new mercury 225 pro xs 4 stroke. I love it. man its just so nice and the 4 stroke sounds awesome!
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

Going along with BassCat on this, personal choice. I ran a SHO for several years(on a different brand boat). Loved it!
    my 17 Caracal came with a merc,2 stroke, which I had no issues with, ran it a while, but I repowered with a 4s, and I got say, it really made a positive difference in my boat. From hole shot, to mid-range, to sound,,, totally pleased. I am even beginning to like the looks,, little bit of a pain to prop tho.
    I would not hesitate to chose either!,,,
    gene
    22 BassCat Lynx
    22Mercury proXS
    Hummingbird/garmin
    ALX rods/Shimano /Lews
    Maxwell Flying inc

I’ve run the big three for most of my boating life and Yams have been the most bullet proof OAL. If I where buying a new boat today I would buy in this order: Yam SHO, Suzuki SS, Merc. V8, Rude G2, Honda. I had an 07 Etec that was pretty stout and prefer it over my 12 pro XS but the new G2 has some bugs.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    I’ve run the big three for most of my boating life and Yams have been the most bullet proof OAL. If I where buying a new boat today I would buy in this order: Yam SHO, Suzuki SS, Merc. V8, Rude G2, Honda. I had an 07 Etec that was pretty stout and prefer it over my 12 pro XS but the new G2 has some bugs.
    g2 is bulletproof? list some "bugs" currently in them??
    MAGA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast