Thread: Tyson vs Ali

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Both in their prime...I would go with Ali. Evander Holyfield showed he had a hard time dealing with a pure boxer. It would be great fight though.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

2. Banned
    Tyson every time. Can only dance and prance around so long before you catch a hook. Lights out.

eta- just realized this was a badminton contest.

3. Member
    Hooked on phonics?? Ali...especially with "S" words

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Loomis88 View Post
    Hooked on phonics?? Ali...especially with "S" words
    LOL. Don't say that to Tyson though. He's chew your ear off telling you how smart he is.

5. Member
    By reading the responses here I would assume most are too young to have seen Ali fight or perhaps remember Ali in his later years. Ali in his prime would destroy Tyson in his prime. Simple as that.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohirolina View Post
    If both were in their prime I would pick ALI. Tyson's career would have been ruined early on because after Ali kept hitting him with that nasty jab he would have gotten frustrated and realized that he could really be beaten. In his early years Tyson was taught and really believed he was invincible. When doubt entered his mind he was easily frustrated.
    Ali has the reach and speed to frustrate the heck out of Iron Mike. It would be a joy to watch to see if Tyson could land the "punch" but I'd go with Ali.
    Sam

2022 Falcon F20 TE Hybrid - 250 Mercury Pro XS
    Not a pro - barely an average Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    Both in their prime...I would go with Ali. Evander Holyfield showed he had a hard time dealing with a pure boxer. It would be great fight though.
    This^^if Tyson didnt get him in the first,or 2nd round...Ali all day

Ali fought a better version of Tyson on Oct. 30, 1974, and won by knockout.

9. Member
    Most people don’t know or forgot about an old Ali fighting Foreman in 74.
    Foreman hit harder than Tyson and Ali used the Rope a dope on him. He would do the same to Tyson.

Holyfield didn't compare and contrast the punching power of Tyson and Tua but strongly hinted their power wasn't as intimidating as Foreman's.

Immediately after his 1991 title defense against Foreman, Holyfield said Big George hit him harder than he'd ever been hit... and 25 years later he still insists Big George is the hardest puncher he's faced. And true to form, George Foreman is considered by many experts as the hardest punching heavyweight champion ever”

91 foreman hit harder than Tyson. Imagine 1974 Foreman. Just google a picture he was a monster.

The fight most like Ali that Tyson fought was Buster and we know how that ended.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMark View Post
    By reading the responses here I would assume most are too young to have seen Ali fight or perhaps remember Ali in his later years. Ali in his prime would destroy Tyson in his prime. Simple as that.
    Nope. I was an espn classics fiend when boxing would come one. Seen most all the "great" fights in history, and plenty of Ali. I dont feel Holyfield Tyson was prime tyson, and why I say prime tyson would take a prime ali. Prime tyson had an extrememely small window and Id have to start googling to tell you the end date (in my opinion). He started getting in his own way very early on in his career.

Side note....evander is the man! I lent him my iPod boom box way back in the day for his iPod when he was doing a public workout! gave me some autographs and taught me some boxing for a few minutes while he was unwrapping and then went off to the rest of the public. Great experience, and a nice guy to talk to (I was a kid/teen at the time).

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Ali fought a better version of Tyson on Oct. 30, 1974, and won by knockout.
    SC

you beat me to it.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    SC

you beat me to it.
    Foreman? Serious?...dude was a stud but he didnt have tyson speed...sumbitch had some serious meat hooks though...with a pile of weight and power
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Most people don’t know or forgot about an old Ali fighting Foreman in 74.
    Foreman hit harder than Tyson and Ali used the Rope a dope on him. He would do the same to Tyson.

Holyfield didn't compare and contrast the punching power of Tyson and Tua but strongly hinted their power wasn't as intimidating as Foreman's.

Immediately after his 1991 title defense against Foreman, Holyfield said Big George hit him harder than he'd ever been hit... and 25 years later he still insists Big George is the hardest puncher he's faced. And true to form, George Foreman is considered by many experts as the hardest punching heavyweight champion ever”

91 foreman hit harder than Tyson. Imagine 1974 Foreman. Just google a picture he was a monster.

The fight most like Ali that Tyson fought was Buster and we know how that ended.
    damn...hard to disagree with a guy whos been punched in the face by all of them!!! Forgot about Tua too! Dude had some sledgehammers!!!

I dont think Tyson would fall for the rope a dope. Tyson was super slick and that got overshadowed by his power and highlight KOs. but that is a good point about foreman.

These what if discussions are better than modern day boxing...these boxers today duck one another till everything is on their side and they basically have to fight! Fury vs Wilder better happen ASAP!!!

14. Member
    Tyson with Cuss in the corner was a different fighter than Tyson after Cuss died. Early Tyson with Cuss was a much better Boxer than Forman 74 (Brawler) By 74 George was looking to land one big blow same as late tyson. Would be a great match up but I go with Tyson

15. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I'm a huge Ali fan but that would be a tough call. I miss the days when Championship fights were on prime time national t.v.. and free.

Dale Sinclair original

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bjovan View Post
    Tyson with Cuss in the corner was a different fighter than Tyson after Cuss died. Early Tyson with Cuss was a much better Boxer than Forman 74 (Brawler) By 74 George was looking to land one big blow same as late tyson. Would be a great match up but I go with Tyson
    this. id have to google since im not a historian and just going off memory...but you nailed it! what I see as prime tyson was a tiny window. And yes Cuss d'amato was what made him great and kept him in check. That tyson was not human. stupid power, stupid speed....and stupid in ring smarts!!! I think ive seen every tyson fight...and he was next level imo.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMark View Post
    I tend to agree here, if Ali was able to dance around for 4 or 5 rounds he would wear mike down.

Tough to say exactly when Tyson was in his prime too...prior to Cuss's passing, during the unification bouts would be my point in time....but I still give it to Ali if it goes to the second and subsequent rounds.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

19. Banned
    Are we still talking about badminton? Cause I know some of yal ain’t comparing Tyson speed to Foreman speed.

20. Member
    No idea but man it would be fun to watch. Ali was one of the best at avoiding the big it. Tyson was one of the best at making that hard hit.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast