Came over from the tin boat world and need some setup help

I traded in my Lund for a 2005 Stratos XL this spring and am loving it. I keep what I consider a tournament load in it pretty much all the time as well as a full tank of fuel. Hole shot when I’m alone is decent, once I throw in a buddy or my son it is horrible. It porpoises pretty bad with a load as well.

At 5800 rpm I run around 69 MPH on GPS but I usually run mid 50’s to 60 for my comfort level and a non desire to get a chine walk.

I measure 14 3/4” level pad to ground and 10 3/4” from prop center to ground. I have an 8” slidemaster so I’m guessing I have a fair amount of adjustment left.

The prop is a Yamaha Vmax series 27-T1, 15 1/8” on a 2005 Vmax 250 HPDI. There are 3 square vent holes all open. I bought a Chris Bailey hydrofoil As well but haven’t installed it yet.

Not sure if altitude matters but I fish mostly at 2700’ with a max of 4700’ but also head down into Oregon to a couple hundred feet.

At speed a left turn is an exercise in sheer strength and I have bled down the hydraulic steering and it isn’t leaking. Some searches have indicated that a) I could get better at using trim to help the turn and b) it is somewhat normal but when I say it is hard to turn I mean it. The skeg has about a 1/16 to 1/8” bend to the right.

Id love to improve holeshot and get on plane quicker and am willing to sacrifice some top end to do so and help out the turning issue.

Any thoughts and help GREATLY appreciated. I love the boat already and getting this figured out would be awesome. I don’t really have an opportunity to try out different props and being November in Idaho, it’s not a concern for a few months anyway. But I’d like to be ready for March fishing.

Thank You, Bill
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

2. Pat Goff
    What motor?
    Your symptoms are saying the motor is a bit high, stiff steering, porpoising are the tell tales.
    27 T is a VERY stiff prop. It takes a whole lot of grunt to get that big diameter wheel up and going.
    Do you have access to any props? I'd be playing with a 26 tempest or a 26 trophy, both would be much quicker on holeshot and overall performance.

There's a lot more discussion here, details will be worked out.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member
    Thanks Pat,

Unfortunately I don’t have access to any props to play with. The motor is a 2005 Yamaha 250 HP HPDI Vmax.

And as I continue with the search function, I do get a lot of prop blowout when running with 2 people as well as a lot of rooster tail at speed.

Bill
    Last edited by Williep99; 11-26-2019 at 10:48 AM.

4. Pat Goff
    Bill,
    Yeah, I'd be looking for a general load prop for sure.
    I'm not an expert on stratos at all, but just from descriptions you need to make a change..
    Generally here's what you'd expect to see with different wheels.
    A high rake three blade, (tempest, Yamaha M, raker, etc.) will give you more bow lift, and generally will deliver the best top end speed in most conditions. The trade off will be a little slower holeshot, and twitchier to drive, more apt to walk, because you're going to have more boat out of the water.
    A four blade will generally deliver superior holeshot with a load, smoother to handle, less prone to walk, and cure annoying stuff like porpoise and ill handling in turns. BUT, you're going to sacrifice some speed to get it.l

Without a local source, I'd suggest talking to people that have walked the EXACT same path. Well meaning internet advice can be wrong and expensive. "I run a 25 something and get outstanding results" Which is fine except it's on a different hull with a different motor. One size does NOT fit all..

So after all that, I'd be calling Josh at Steve's prop on lake fork, they have experience with YOUR boat and YOUR motor.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

5. Member
    need to have motor about 3.25 to 3.50 below pad
    need to try a bravo 1 or a 4 blade fury about 25p or so call mark at marks propellers, he will advise you and also sell you the correct best prop
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    Talked to one prop shop and it looks like my motor has a somewhat unique setup on what props I can use. I may have to get the existing one reworked and adjust the motor height.

7. Pat Goff
    Keep talking.
    Merc prop will work with right thrust washer and castle nut.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

8. Member
    Status update - after the help on this thread and a few phone calls to prop shops, I’m sending the original prop in for a rework to get it in shape. And going to move the motor up to 3 1/4” from its current 4” setting. Of course I won’t be able to get in the water barring a nice weather warmup until late Feb or early Match to get a run on those changes. A big thank you to the folks who gave some feedback to a new bass boat guy.

Bill