Thread: Rods Ordered

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Just do search on the major forums. Lots of bad stories out there including mine and I was a Kickstart supporter so problems from the get go....
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

2. Member
    Wow, that Better Business Bureau report is horrible !!!! I will say that I evidently have been extremely lucky in my dealings with them. I've ordered 5 blanks from them in the past 2 years, and none of them took longer than 3 weeks to get here, and all but the one that was broken in shipping have been absolutely beautiful blanks.

As far as the X ray blanks go .... they are crazy good. Definitely the most sensitive blanks I've built on thus far.

Still, after reading that BBB report, I don't see myself ordering from them again. Figure I'll quit while I'm ahead.

3. Member
    Do you think the defects in the Xray blanks are so frequent because they're an unsanded, raw product? Could these issues typically be sanded out on their standard HM blank? I haven't handled an Xray blank except on a finished Z-bone. I'm also curious how the IM, HM, XRay compare to IMX GLX NRX in regards to sensitivity. Anyone have experience with both?

4. Member
    The defects aren't just on the XRays and they're also not just one type of defect. Off the top of my head I've had an HM MB704 with a crooked tip (last 1/2" of tip was just bent had to cut it), an IM Flip 764 or 766 with a bad bow, a DS761 can't remember if it was IM or HM with a bad bow, a Swimbait blank that gave be a bad splinter running my hand down it and a IM SJ704 with a noticably unfinished butt. I've also had them "upgrade" me on two Deltas where they sent me IMs...that would have been great but the whole point of ordering the Deltas was because I wanted to see what they were all about.

To answer your question about IM, HM, XRay...IMO IM is between IMX and GLX and both HM and XRay are in the NRX ballpark. They're incredibly light and sensitive. When you get a straight one that actually makes it to your door they are a fine blank. The performance is there, the quality control is not. I'd also say that half of the decals I got with them were useless, no adhesive.

It's a shame. It's like if Caroll Shelby designed a car and then had Yugo build it.

5. Member
    I've built on 2 NFC IM blanks, and 2 NFC X ray blanks. I've never fished an IMX but I have fished a GLX. I'd say Will is right about the IM being a close comparison with the GLX. Having never fished an NRX or a rod built on an NFC HM blank, I can't really say. But the X ray is, at least to me, noticably better than the GLX. If you are looking for something comparable to a GLX, the Rainshadow Immortal blanks are right there with them.

Well, finally got confirmation that my blanks have been shipped! I'll touch back here when they are delivered and inspected.

Received my blanks today! They are straight and no rough places that I can find. They are pretty much spot on with the action that I wanted for small crankbaits. Now, to get everything measured up and start ordering all the components to build them. So far, my experience has been good, given that one needs to consider that the holidays came into play as far as delivery time is concerned. Ordered the blanks on November 23rd.

8. Member
    I ordered mine Nov. 26 and still nothing. I sent them a email yesterday and they said still unavailable, and that they are behind because of holidays and popularity of blanks I ordered. Shouldn't take this long though

9. Member
    Well I'm at 2 months since I placed my order. Really starting to wish I would have done more research on nfc before I placed my order, as this is pretty ridiculous. They do respond to emails promptly, however still couldn't give me even a estimation as to when I will receive my order. They are still filling older back orders.

I'll definitely take a look at some other manufacturers next time. I received mine in good condition, but if you read my other post, I'm not really sure that I got what I ordered. NFC really needs to get their act together especially in the department of communicating with their customers. Don't even try to call them, you're just wasting your time. Wish you luck with your order.

11. Member
    The way they handled it I ended up with 2 x ray sj736 blanks. I took a little from the tip of the cracked rod so with the sale I basically got 2 rods for $45 each... which is more in line with their quality control than what they normally want. I'm disappointed in their quality control but think I came out pretty decent, probably not gonna order from them again though

12. Banned
    Seems like vendors in the rod building industry are just terrible about getting orders out. Mudhole has it's ups and downs, getbit is also hit or miss sometimes. But 2 months to receive an order, and it's possibly not even what you ordered. Nope. That's inexcusable.

My guess is NFC doesn't care about the rod building community. It's an after thought. They're focused on shipping orders to big name builders and the small guys either get the seconds or something completely different...when they get around to it.

13. Member
    NFC changed their business model a few years ago essentially to selling factory direct. I don't think they thought that through very well. The majority of rod builders or certainly the rod builders who are more likely to order more than 1-2 blanks at a time are not building rods solely for themselves. So instead of supplying blanks to a handful of distributors like Mudhole, GetBit etc now they are supplying to thousands of small distributors. Their order fulfillment process hasn't adjusted. Not to mention the fact that they also supply to brand name rod companies like Kistler who I'm sure have more leverage than you or I when it comes to quality and customer service.

Their "sales" are like going shopping at Kohls. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay $40 for a pair of Levi 501s, but put those on sale for $25 and everyone thinks their getting a deal. Would any of you honestly pay their retail? An IM766 flip blank retails at $235.17, a Rod Geeks B476HF is $118, a Hydra Ng FL5 is $119, hell a Liberty FS764 is $78 (as close to the old Shikari FS764 as you're gonna find). Every one of those is going to make you a comparable flip stick, you'll get it in a week, it'll be what you ordered and it'll be straight.

The first few orders I made in the past couple of years just took a long time to get (over 2 months each time), the past 3 all had quality and/or didn't get what I ordered issues. Too many other quality options available to deal with that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12