Thread: Minor upgrade

Minor upgrade

Things are mighty quiet in the shutterbug forum lately but hopefully enough guys are dropping by to give me some insight. Looking to upgrade my old EOS to something reasonable without taking out a HELOC to pay for it. Don't need all the bells and whistles because I won't use most of them, just need a solid performer for general shooting and esp. wildlife. Is the Canon 80D a good choice? It's supposed to have a quiet shutter mode which would be a huge improvement over my present camera. Is there a better choice? It would be nice to be able to use my current lenses and filters but I'll probably be looking for a zoom that'll be a good combination for wildlife in low light

2. Member
    I still am shooting my Canon 60D. It is a great camera and the 80D is an upgrade over the 60D.

Your challenge will be getting a fast zoom lens for low light. I see they are still selling the 6D for around a grand wo a lens. Full sensor will be better in low light. Just see if your lens lineup will work on the 6D.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    I still am shooting my Canon 60D. It is a great camera and the 80D is an upgrade over the 60D.

Your challenge will be getting a fast zoom lens for low light. I see they are still selling the 6D for around a grand wo a lens. Full sensor will be better in low light. Just see if your lens lineup will work on the 6D.
    I think the 80D body is available for less than a grand new (a little over $500 used). It sounds like it would do everything I want for the time being. I'm not joining Nat Geo anytime soon. I definitely need to learn more about zooms and the speed factor before I buy. Success would be to be able to photograph whitetails in the woods at 20 yards or so.

I just looked up the specs on a 6D and see they're higher than the 80D. I'll have to dig a little deeper. The 80D is available for around $700 this week--maybe less
    Last edited by BP in ME; 11-25-2019 at 08:04 PM.

I'd definitely stay with the crop sensor of the 80D for wildlife. Paired with a fast zoom you'll have the decent setup. The glass (lens) is where it's at for image quality. That's also where the majority of money will go in your case. I wouldn't shy away for the 7dmkii if you need to get a body and lens.
    2004 Triton TR21, 225 proxs

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish_4_Five View Post
    I'd definitely stay with the crop sensor of the 80D for wildlife. Paired with a fast zoom you'll have the decent setup. The glass (lens) is where it's at for image quality. That's also where the majority of money will go in your case. I wouldn't shy away for the 7dmkii if you need to get a body and lens.
    I'll check out the 7D, thanks. I have a hard time sorting out the pros and cons of the various choices but I'll spend some time on it.

6. Member
    Have an 80d...excellent for the price. Bought mine from the refurbished Canon site. You get the full warranty. Right now you can probably get a new one though for about the same price with all the Black Friday stuff. Just FYI, the “silent shutter” is not silent. Quieter but not silent. I think mirrorless has better options for silent shutters but you’re going to pay more. I think you’ll be happy with the 80d

7. Member
    And P.S., I’m sure you saw that there is a 90d now. No idea if it’s worth the extra money, but looks kind of like an 80d/7d mkii combo

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrimore View Post
    And P.S., I’m sure you saw that there is a 90d now. No idea if it’s worth the extra money, but looks kind of like an 80d/7d mkii combo
    Yeah, I did see a mention of that. Haven't done a side-by-side comparison yet but maybe later this evening I'll read up on it. The 80D is probably more in line with my budget but we'll see

I have an 80D,with a Canon 100-400ii..get good results

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogchunker View Post
    I have an 80D,with a Canon 100-400ii..get good results
    Specs and reviews on that lens sound good. Thanks

I have the 7D MkII specifically for wildlife - the high speed shutter is amazing for birds in flight! The Canon 100 - 400 L Series is excellent but pricey. I have had excellent results from the Tamron G2 series. I have the 70-200 F2.8 and the 150-600 F5.6 -both are proving to be outstanding for wildlife photography. The 80D and 90D are also excellent DSLRs..

I think my next one will be the new EOS R mirrorless but I won't give up my 7D Mk II :-)

https://scottpowell.myportfolio.com
    Last edited by smp005; 12-15-2019 at 07:09 PM.
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

12. Member
    Thanks for the input, Scott. You have some really nice stuff in your portfolio. I could maybe get some decent closeups of songbirds around the feeder. I'd like to be able to get ducks in flight. Man, that's tough! I had a hard enough time staying on them with a 12 ga. when I hunted. It's even harder with a zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Thanks for the input, Scott. You have some really nice stuff in your portfolio. I could maybe get some decent closeups of songbirds around the feeder. I'd like to be able to get ducks in flight. Man, that's tough! I had a hard enough time staying on them with a 12 ga. when I hunted. It's even harder with a zoom.
    You are so right!!! Just getting them in the lens is tough LOL! I have setup two feeding stations to attract songbirds that sometimes gives me some good shots. I'm pretty new at this and still struggle to calculate everything on the fly - shutter speed, aperture and ISO when an opportunity arises that I was not prepared for...

One thing I have learned - back button focus is critical for wildlife photography :-)
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles