Another (NOT t-stat) problem.

1b916908
    250 pro xs
    600+ hrs
    2012 bass cat puma

To make this short. I launch the boat in approximately 45 degree water start the motor and run approx 30-45 seconds and I get an alarm. Multiple beeps not a single long beep. Water temp is at approximately 90 degrees. I watch the temperature and gets up to approximately 137 and the stats open and temp goes down to approximately 120. This takes place over 4-6 minutes. I rev the motor slightly and the alarm goes off. I let it idle it comes back on. So I put it in gear and run about 5 mph or so just over idle and alarm stays off. I then take off no alarm and fished for about 4 hours and never got another alarm. I watched my temp gauge and I stayed between 115 and 130.

I read the other post about what sounds like the same issue so I just removed the stats and everything looks good. No obstruction was found. BUT I noticed going up the port cylinders there are 3 brown wires with bullet connectors and 1 of them was either disconnected or slightly making contact. I noticed a tag on the wires that said something about temp sensor. Could this have been an issue? Why would it alarm first thing and then not the rest of the day? If it were a loose connection it should happen sporadically, not just when I put in? Right?

I have not had it out again but will do so Wednesday. Please offers suggestions or ideas, and I will let everyone know what happens Wednesday.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

2. Member
    What is your water pressure when the alarm occurs? Your stats are operating perfectly and it’s unlikely you are getting a temp related alarm 45 seconds after starting. Until you have your faults read anything you do, and anything we tell you, is nothing more than a guess. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    What is your water pressure when the alarm occurs? Your stats are operating perfectly and it’s unlikely you are getting a temp related alarm 45 seconds after starting. Until you have your faults read anything you do, and anything we tell you, is nothing more than a guess. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!
    I did not look at water pressure on the smart craft but gauge read normal about 2-3psi.

What if that wire was disconnected or making limited contact?

If I have that alarm again I will see a dealer for sure.

But also I did just have the LU rebuilt after a catastrophic failure occured but the case was reused and was rebuilt by a mercury tech. Possibly an issue?
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

4. Member
    Loose connections are NEVER good. I'd test it. BTW you should not "idle up" while in neutral. That will trigger an alarm itself.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

I'm fairly certain that the connectors you are talking about are coming from the Temperature sensor of the compressor and unplugging one will cause an alarm.

If it disappeared when plugged back in I reckon you have nothing to worry about.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Ocean View Post
    I'm fairly certain that the connectors you are talking about are coming from the Temperature sensor of the compressor and unplugging one will cause an alarm.

If it disappeared when plugged back in I reckon you have nothing to worry about.
    This is quite likely the case- but you REALLY should have the Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) History checked before you "trust" that you have solved the problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Ocean View Post

I have not run it since I found the possible loose connection. So I don't if this cured it. I will find out tomorrow.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    This is quite likely the case- but you REALLY should have the Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) History checked before you "trust" that you have solved the problem.
    Yes I agree you are probably right but my mechanic I an hour and a half away and I may have found the issue. So I think I should run it one time to see if I get any alarms. If I do get alarms then yes onto the mechanic it goes.

Thanks
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

9. Member
    Sounds like you may have figured it out. The other alarm you got when you were in the process of figuring it out was most likely a neutral overspend. Not recommended to rev these motors in neutral. Loose connections are bad news.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat29 View Post
    most likely a neutral overspend.
    Gotta hate those things that cause "Unscheduled Disassembly".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Gotta hate those things that cause "Unscheduled Disassembly".
    Yea... love that unscheduled stuff!!!! It is funny that it never breaks when I want it to!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

12. Member
    Ok guys took the boat out today and no alarms. Water temp was 50-51. Boat heated up to about 145 and went back down to 109.
    So I cannot prove 100% weather it was the connection or the stats. But all is well

Thanks everyone. It is nice to have all this support.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx