Thread: Hot Ponds Today

dartag1829

Hot Ponds Today

Today taught me why they call it Fishing and not Catching. Made my annual trip to the Monroe Hot Ponds. It is the warm water discharge for the coal burning power plant into Lake Erie. It is always a fun time to go. For some reason the fish didn't want to bite today. I only caught a few none photo worthy. The area is also a wintering area for Bald Eagles. Good new is there were many more this year than I have ever seen. Quite a few young adults. Got to watch them play all morning. My boat is now tucked away for the winter. Think Spring.

Talked to some guys at the ramp that had driven up from Columbus for the day. They did about the same as I did. Water was 57 at the entrance and 62-63 up at the discharge.

Hope it improves for all you guys that fish all winter in there.

Time for Golf Cart fishing in Florida till spring.

2. Member
    At least you got out and caught a few. I'm done and haven't fished since i saw you on Orchard. Have fun in fla., and catch some bigguns...
    Wave Therapy

3. dartag1829
    Thanks.

See ya next season.

4. dartag1829
    Took the wife to Toledo yesterday for a meeting. We stopped at the ponds on the way home. Parked in the lot on Front Street and walked along the ponds. Only 1 stack had smoke coming out. Water was like chocolate milk and looked like it was 2 feet higher. Hardly any shad activity. We walked to the end so the wife could see the eagles.

5. Member
    They don't run that plant like they used too. The netting is really hurting that place as well. The hot ponds will be a thing of the past in the near future.
    -Matt

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’ve never been to the hot ponds and likely will never go, but widespread netting is certainly a concern of mine across western Erie. Less than 10 years ago, I still looked forward to that perfect fall day to run out for smallmouths, but the last 3 years [at least], come October there’s miles and miles of nets to try and work around. And barely a single fish of any size, including baitfish, anywhere near the nets. That has to have an impact on the ecosystem.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

7. dartag1829
    Yea I probably won't be going back for a couple years. Not sure why the DNR allows the netting. The big thing I noticed is as with all the great lakes the water is so much higher in there. You could see high water lines probably from strong east winds that blow water in were 3 feet higher. The sandbar at the entrance is just about covered. With the added water the temps do not get as high I believe. I did notice a lot more dead fish along shore. Not worth the 100 mile round trip drive when I can fish 200 yards from my couch. It was fun while it lasted.

Funny I have told a couple local guides if they wanted to make easy money they could take bird watchers in to see the Bald Eagles. Don't think there is a place so close where you can go and see that many birds in one place.

8. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    There was a marine incident in the area yesterday with a missing boater. Not sure but I think the nets may have been involved. I don't know the whole story. This is just what I heard. I don't have the official report.
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

11. Member
    Can pressure effect the hot ponds? It’s usually a bad idea to talk about areas on public platforms. My guess is when word started getting out the catch rate went down. Is this accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by TCook View Post
    Can pressure effect the hot ponds? It’s usually a bad idea to talk about areas on public platforms. My guess is when word started getting out the catch rate went down. Is this accurate?
    No... It has been over fished for many many years and still produces the same.... I fish it all winter. It has sucked the last few years...

PS: It's not pond'S ….. It's only 1 small body of water... Actually better known as the "Hot Hole"

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

13. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    No... It has been over fished for many many years and still produces the same.... I fish it all winter. It has sucked the last few years...

PS: It's not pond'S ….. It's only 1 small body of water... Actually better known as the "Hot Hole"
    When you get to be my age you can call it anything you want. Old people have privileges. Hot Hole sounds like a movie they used to show on 8 Mile road.

14. Member
    8 mile and Beech-Daly (once)
    Wave Therapy

Quote Originally Posted by dartag1829 View Post
    When you get to be my age you can call it anything you want. Old people have privileges. Hot Hole sounds like a movie they used to show on 8 Mile road.

OK... But why make it plural like there are multiple warm water areas? Old people aren't wise? I thought wisdom came with age.

You are only a few years wiser than me...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html