Removing cowling decals

Has anyone removed their cowling decals?

I have a 200 efi, i know how to remove them and the residue. My main concern is buffing/polishing out the unfaded/faded paint.

I really am not interested in getting the cowling repainted.

2. Member
    heat um with hair dryer
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I removed the decals from my Etec to put a new set on. A razor blade on a hot day...and be very careful! Something like Goo Gone will get rid of the residue (and paint if you’re not careful) then an alcohol wipe down.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies - i know how to get them off. My question is buffing or pollishing the unfaded paint. If even possible.

5. Member
    I have used polishing or buffing compound found at auto supply stores. If you are polishing paint that is one thing. If you are polishing plastic which is what many cowlings are made of now it is more difficult.

6. Member
    If it makes a difference my motor is a 96 efi 200.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Jim View Post
    I have used polishing or buffing compound found at auto supply stores. If you are polishing paint that is one thing. If you are polishing plastic which is what many cowlings are made of now it is more difficult.
    96 will be painted
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    I just removed the really bad decals on my 87 mercury 175.... heat gun (cheap from harbor freight),razor blade and ample goo gone and goof off worked wonders....

take your time and use heat and elbow grease.... now for repaint and gel coat of the cowls and motor as appropriate and already have newer model mercury decals to prep and apply before clear coat...

9. Member
    Thanks for info.

Mods can delete thread