Adding Airmar TM150, Extensions or Sonar Hub ??

Hello All,

I want to add an Airmar TM150 to my system. I have a 2018 Ranger Z521L. Presently has 16 Carbon at the console with LSS2 plugged into 9 pin and PDWBL ( shoot through ) plugged into Blue 7 pin. At bow is Carbon 12 with 3in1 plugged into 9 pin, blue 7 pin open.

I want to add the TM150 at the Jackplate, and want to keep the PDWBL for running on pad. TM150 is ordered along with a 10' extension and 7 to 9 pin adapter. It looks like the TM150 comes with a 10' cable.

I am planning on pulling PDWBL from 16, adding 10' extension and running it up to the 12 at the bow, and running the TM150 to the newly opened up 7 pin port at the 16. Not sure if there will be enough cable even with the extension for the pdwbl to make it to the 12 at the bow.

FINALLY the question - If there is not enough cable which would be the better option 1 - add a 2nd 10' cable to this run ( thinking not good, could weaken signal ?? ), or 2- invest in a Sonar Hub, placed at mid point of the boat ( thinking will hurt the pocket bigtime ! LOL, and not sure of any issues with these set ups) ??

Thanks in advance for any input !

~Tony

2. Member
    Are your units networked with NMEA 2000,Eathernet?
    Wes

3. Member
    Both

~Tony

4. Member
    I put the TM150 in my boat last year, and I would guess it is more like a 15' cable. My boat is 18', ran the cable from the transom to the helm, and still had probably half of it left, probably would have made it to the bow, but regardless, I don't think you will have too much trouble with using an extension cable, this stuff gets installed and used on boats much larger than ours, they must use some extensions too...

Also, look around a bit, the Shoot Through probably had some extra cable stashed somewhere, if all it did was go from the bilge to the helm...
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    I put the TM150 in my boat last year, and I would guess it is more like a 15' cable. My boat is 18', ran the cable from the transom to the helm, and still had probably half of it left, probably would have made it to the bow, but regardless, I don't think you will have too much trouble with using an extension cable, this stuff gets installed and used on boats much larger than ours, they must use some extensions too...

Also, look around a bit, the Shoot Through probably had some extra cable stashed somewhere, if all it did was go from the bilge to the helm...
    Awesome ! Thanks for added info Michael. Just trying to plan ahead as I await the TM150 and cables to arrive. I'll look for that extra shoot thru cable in the mean time.

~Tony

6. Member
    You will probably lose on plane depth by moving the shoot thru to the bow. Having them linked with both cables will probably fix that thru network sonar sources. Good luck
    Wes

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D Dad View Post
    You will probably lose on plane depth by moving the shoot thru to the bow. Having them linked with both cables will probably fix that thru network sonar sources. Good luck
    I think he meant hooking the shoot through to his bow sonar unit, then turning in the network sonar to view it at his helm. Meaning he will move the electrical connection, not the location of the transducer in his hull. I think this will still give hm what he wants to see.

8. Member
    I think he meant hooking the shoot through to his bow sonar unit, then turning in the network sonar to view it at his helm. Meaning he will move the electrical connection, not the location of the transducer in his hull. I think this will still give hm what he wants to see.
    Correct !
    Also, received TM150 and that darn cable is 35+ long ! More than enough, so no need to move pdwbl after all ! Will just run TM150 cable to bow unit afterall. Working on bracket mount now.

Thanks guys !

~Tony

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Correct !
    Also, received TM150 and that darn cable is 35+ long ! More than enough, so no need to move pdwbl after all ! Will just run TM150 cable to bow unit afterall. Working on bracket mount now.

Thanks guys !
    Now, all you need to do is have the bow unit powered up and Network Sonar Turned on on both units, and you are good to go...

10. Member
    you could also upgrade your LSS2 to a 3D and have a free port on your carbon because the 3D connects with ethernet. Just a thought.
    Chad Snow / Massachusetts
    2007 Ranger Reata 210 - Mercury Optimax 225 (#1B446134) - 12' Talons
    Carbon12’s @ Bow w/ AT- live 12 w/ 3D & live 7 @ Helm

11. Member
    Now, all you need to do is have the bow unit powered up and Network Sonar Turned on on both units, and you are good to go...
    Right on !

~Tony