Thread: cranking reel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    The winch is designed for big cranks. The gear ratio helps them get deeper.
    2016 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    250 Pro XS

2. Member
    Lews BB1 pro for me

3. Member
    Shimano Calais APV unbelievably smooth!

Quote Originally Posted by Brownmaniac View Post
    The winch is designed for big cranks. The gear ratio helps them get deeper.
    For the record I use a 4.9 gear ratio that moves the bait about 21" per revolution of the handle.
    Not sure how a gear ratio can make a big crank "get deeper" Always figured that depended on the bait and line diameter.
    Unless your Paul Elias -- then it would also depend on how deep you can stick your rod tip under the surface.
    Granted the low gear ratio on the right rod allows me to fish a big crank much longer, but not any deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    For the record I use a 4.9 gear ratio that moves the bait about 21" per revolution of the handle.
    Not sure how a gear ratio can make a big crank "get deeper" Always figured that depended on the bait and line diameter.
    Unless your Paul Elias -- then it would also depend on how deep you can stick your rod tip under the surface.
    Granted the low gear ratio on the right rod allows me to fish a big crank much longer, but not any deeper.
    If I recall from an article that Fritts did a long time ago, a faster reel with more inches of line retrieved per turn of the handle, will pull the bait too fast through the water allowing the pressure on the diving bill to scrub off to the side of the bill instead of applying a downward force to the bait to force it deeper. I have no idea if the hydrodynamics of this explaination is accurate or not. But, I believe it was Fritts' explanation.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Sounds plausible . All you have to do with a high speed reel to slow the bait down is turn the handle slower. Something I'm sure we have all done. Even when turning the handle less on a higher speed reel it seems to wear me out a lot quicker than turning a lower gear ratio at a moderate speed.

I used this reel all last week and its a dream.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1015070

7. Member
    I crank with the faster reels, but I don't reel straight. I pull and reel up slack (stop and go). So reel speed doesn't mean much in my method. I seem to catch more big bass using this method.

Quote Originally Posted by mxmike View Post
    KVD now uses Lew's reels. He can use any reel he wants, but he chooses Lew's Good enough for him, good enough for you.
    Then how can we wrap our heads around the fact that he used Quantum reels for the past 25 years??

9. Member
    Curado DC 6 gear

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRanger11 View Post
    Shimano Calais APV unbelievably smooth!
    Agreed!
    ciao,
    Marc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123