Thread: Back Pay?

Question Back Pay?

I'm retired AF and had a 40% disability rating. In Feb 2019 I filed for revaluation in a couple of areas. I was increased in Aug to 50% then 60% in Sept . I received my increased payments in Sept and Oct. My question is should I receive back pay to the date my claims were submitted? I called the 800 number for the VA and the gentleman I talked to was kind of clueless. He said he saw no indication that I was due any back pay but that I could file an appeal? Also if I am due back pay how long does that usually take? Thanks for any help and thanks to everyone here for their service! Have a Happy Holiday!!

Yes, you should get back paid from the date of the claim. Backpayments usually take a month or two because they typically audit the account.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Ok thanks! I thought so but wasn't sure

4. Member
    Back pay should go back to the application date for the increase.

For example:
    If you apply and it takes the board 3 months to make the decision, on the first payout month there will be 4 months of compensation.

I'm afraid to ask for re-evaluation and lose what I already have. It was a chore even getting into the system.

blwest; if you don't mind me asking....what made it difficult to get "into the system?"
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    blwest; if you don't mind me asking....what made it difficult to get "into the system?"
    I tried "on my own" for 6 years to get a rating. Followed all instructions from the VA, multiple visits with folks at the local VA hospital, I was always polite.

Also tried various agencies (VSO) that supposedly can help you. They weren't much help.

Then I went the bureaucratic route. I reached out to a Colonel, now General who was my mentor during active duty. I had a meeting within a day, evaluation appointments within a week and a half and a rating within 45 days.

Nothing changed. Same paperwork, full medical records, just ended up getting the right person rattling the correct person's cage in the system.
    Last edited by blwest; 11-28-2019 at 07:50 AM. Reason: punctuation

7. Member
    I highly recommend using an accredited VSO for anything claim related. VSO's are free. I used a VSO for my initial claim and my increase two years later and I didn't have any issues with claims or back pay. Not all VSO's are created equal, and not all VA claims offices are created equal either

I consider myself lucky, as I have had no issues with VA health care during the last 7 years. My first claim when I retired from the Army was missing some injuries that my VSO and the VA missed (feet, back and shoulder), and they were all properly documented. So I filed my re-evaluation with a different VSO 2 years later and got my increase.

I was already paid 1 Sep for the increase to 50% and paid on 1 Nov for the increase to 60% but there was no back pay. Thats why I was asking. I used a VSO at first but the VA kept giving us the runaround so I used a VA accredited lawyer instead and it worked out great! It has made a huge difference and I had to do almost nothing. Depending on what your rating is for and how long you have had it can make a big difference in whether there is a chance they can reduce it or not. I had a a 0% service connected rating that was changed to 10% and received another 10% for a new claim. Actually pretty surprised at how smooth and quickly it went!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro-T View Post
    I was already paid 1 Sep for the increase to 50% and paid on 1 Nov for the increase to 60% but there was no back pay. Thats why I was asking. I used a VSO at first but the VA kept giving us the runaround so I used a VA accredited lawyer instead and it worked out great! It has made a huge difference and I had to do almost nothing. Depending on what your rating is for and how long you have had it can make a big difference in whether there is a chance they can reduce it or not. I had a a 0% service connected rating that was changed to 10% and received another 10% for a new claim. Actually pretty surprised at how smooth and quickly it went!!
    Glad they were able to get you sorted out!

As already mentioned, not all VSOs are equal. Glad to hear it worked for you.
    2016 Nitro Z21