Final conclusion on recarpeting/padding/trimming older 518vs

Hey all,
    I know this topic has been beat to death in the past but after doing many hours of research, and looking at today's options in have some questions.

Hopefully those that have recently re carpeted a ranger can chime in. I appreciate the help in advance.

Heres my dilemma.......

Syntec is apparentlywhat ranger now uses, however they ONLY sell 24oz. I'm running a 1998 518svs and I think 20oz carpet is going to make things fit tight enough as it is. Problem .... bass boat carpet sells 20 oz .... but the reviews on past post say its inferior to the 24oz. Also, I cannot confirm from any previous posts if users are buying 6 foot wide carpet or 8.5 (from bass boat seats.com) ranger i believe sells it in 7 foot wide sections and this making my cost analysis difficult .

I also would like to pad AT LEAST the front deck and the console area .... but seemingly might as well pad everything. Theres a lot of padding out there and I know protec is the most referred. BUT what about other closed cell options ..... I see volara on Amazon but it's only 1/8 thick ..... compared to bass boat seats.com stuff which is 1/4 and same with protec.

Lastly, trim .... what to trim with. I'm lost here. Spoke to ranger and they mentioned "with or without the lip" idk what that means. BBS.com has an adhesive trim as well ...... what is recommended ?

Keeping in mind that this is a 20 year old boat that I dont plan on keeping for more than 5 more years.

In conclusion, my main questions are:

20 oz BBS carpet or 24oz from Ranger ?
    1/8" padding from amazon or 1/4" inch from BBS or ranger?
    Adhesive BBS trim or other or trim from ranger?

I'm thinking 20 oz carpet if I can get away with buying a 6' x 25 foot roll, paired with 1/8" inch Volara foam. Glue everything with weldwood contact cement.

I'm not afraid of trimming the lid edges btw... only avoiding it if it's not a "must have" to install 24oz carpet.

Thanks for any/all insight. Feel free to post or PM.

Seems I remember hearing that the 20oz from BassCat was real good stuff. Someone may concur and u could order from them
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

3. Member
    I wish I could find the 20oz syntec still but seemingly all that is available is the 24oz. I'm reallllllly concerned with having to shave all of the lids

4. Member
    Just order it from ranger and get the 24 oz youll be happy with it. I did not go with the padding and Im happy with that descision I think the 24 oz feels like it has padding on it. get the trim from ranger not expensive at all. the trim i ordered had a little beak that hangs off the edge of the trim to cover the carpet and gives a nice clean look. you can see what that looks like on my ranger 521vx restore on the ranger forum. I showed you how I filed down the beak on the trim. and there are some tips i left on there and they worked for me. now you can add or subtract from that and it may help you out. mine turned out fantastik and Im so happy. I had no problems with my lids sticking with the 24 oz carpet as it will eventually flatten out by being shut for days and weeks. just take your time and plan it out in your head bf you go into each section of the boat. good luck I hop this helps out. if you have a question shoot me a pm i may be able to give you a little clarity of what i did.

I just had my 96 461 done with 24 oz and padded the front deck. Lids fit nice. I was worried the 24 would be to tight but seems just fine the more traffic they get the better they will be.

6. Member
    I am recarpeting my R83 this winter. I had the cockpit, under console and floor area line-x covered, black. It turned out pretty good I must say and seems extremely durable. I am having ranger make all new lids as I’m paranoid about the fine spider cracks on the bottom side of the lids. I have received the livewell lids and they are heavier, thicker by about .100”, come carpeted and new hinges/screws. I changed the carpet color to the darkest grey they offer, and yes ranger uses 24oz syntec carpet. I purchased a roll of carpet to do my entire boat which I purchased before ordering my lids. Super overkill, as I have way too much carpet now but I will ice to recarpet bunks. It’s very nice looking carpet. I will only need to carpet some small areas on the back deck and the trolling motor area. I have decided to not pad my front deck as I have heard of some potential issues with glue releasing over time and carpet may come loose. The biggest thing I’m finding is it is a bunch of scraping and prep work. I do recommend new carpet trim. I also ordered new lid seals too. The only think I’m himhawing about are the lid latches. I want the T-H marine anchor style but I’m not sure if it’s worth it.i wouldn’t sweat the 24oz carpet, it will last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by captmatt3311 View Post
    I wish I could find the 20oz syntec still but seemingly all that is available is the 24oz. I'm reallllllly concerned with having to shave all of the lids
    STOP worrying. It’s not a big deal, I’ve done it twice. Once on a 1990 363V and a 2000 520DVX. Just do it. Wahl clippers are available at Walmart. It’s just a boat. If you that worried maybe pay some to do it or get a friend to help. Start conservative with clippers and go slow. Best wishes
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

8. Member
    I put carpet in boats all winter long go with the ranger shadow gray color and you won’t have a problem with the 24oz carpet. The main lower deck is a pre made piece you have to order from ranger and it’s made with their carpet. If you order another brand it won’t match.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

9. Member
    I went with shadow grey.

Also. The 1997 518 does NOT have a pre made lower deck piece, regardless of what anyone says. That model has carpet.in areas that the later models didn't have. I did a little googling to be sure my original carpet job was in fact factory.
    Last edited by captmatt3311; 12-06-2019 at 08:22 PM.