Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prop for Triton 189 TRX

Hello all,

I picked up my 2019 Triton 189 TRX with a Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 stroke (no jack plate) a couple of weeks ago.

It came from he dealer with a 21 pitch Tempest Plus, to which I commented right away was too small of a prop for the 175. They said that it comes equipped like that from the factory.

I took the boat out and did the initial break in for two hours. I didn't go above the 6000 rpms recommended for this outboard.

I believe I was able to get like 51 mph at 6000 rpms. I emailed the dealer and they are looking into it for me (maybe dealing with Triton on it, who knows...) I told them I needed at least a 23 pitch tempest.

This weekend my son had a fishing tournament, so I decided to go all the way to the limiter and see what the boat would do.

I was able to get to 6900 rpms (analog tach) and a speed of 56 mph gps.

I know analogs can be off, but I am sure that it is revving too high.

Does a 23 Tempest Plus sound like the right prop?

I have not check engine height.....

PS: The sticker on the lower unit where it has the gear ratio said 14x24 which I assume is the generic prop recommendation.

Also the 189 TRX was rated for a max of 150 HP until a year or two ago, maybe that's where all the mix up has come in?

2. Member
    Your lower unit is geared at 1.85 and I think the tach is reading about 500 rpm's high so it might be on the wrong setting from the factory. Even at 6000 you should be able to reach 60 with the 21" prop.

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Your lower unit is geared at 1.85 and I think the tach is reading about 500 rpm's high so it might be on the wrong setting from the factory. Even at 6000 you should be able to reach 60 with the 21" prop.
    Any idea where to find out the correct setting for the tach?

I have ordered the Vessel View Mobile for the Merc to help with the actual RPM's, but it is on back order and won't be here until December.

From what I can find online a lot of these rigs come with a 24 Fury, so I would think a 23 Tempest Plus would be a good choice.

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

4. Member
    You need to know what your rpm's are before spending money for a prop and the 24 fury is probably on a 200 hp motor.

You need to know what your rpm's are before spending money for a prop and the 24 fury is probably on a 200 hp motor.
    I'm not buying prop, I'm making the dealer swap with me. From my experience a 175 should be able to spin a 23 Tempest Plus.

2019 Triton 189 TRX

6. Member
    I've been talking to a guy on here who has the same boat as you with a 200 and he has a 23" tempest on it but since your motor has 1.85 gears you should be able to spin a 23" prop. Ask your dealer what it should be setting on and if you can change it yourself.

I've been talking to a guy on here who has the same boat as you with a 200 and he has a 23" tempest on it but since your motor has 1.85 gears you should be able to spin a 23" prop. Ask your dealer what it should be setting on and if you can change it yourself.
    No Jack plate. Haven't measured the PTP but the motor appears to be on a lower set of holes (so higher engine height) I'll check the height after I put the prop on. Dealer emailed me. Going to trade my 21 for a 23 Tempest Plus tomorrow.

2019 Triton 189 TRX

8. Member
    I missed the no jack plate at the top but you really need a jack plate to adjust the motor. Without a plate set the motor in the second set of holes from the top on the motor mount. That's about all you can do and that should put it at 4.25" prop to pad. I don't understand why any one would buy a new boat and not put a jack plate on it so you can adjust the motor if it needs to be moved.

I'm sure I'll add a jack plate at some point. I wasn't going to pay the dealer to do an easy install that I can do at home when the time comes.

I've run them with and without jack plates. If I'm after every single MPH, yes jack plate all day to fine tune setup.

Also, I love the extra garage space!

Currently I just want the engine in the correct RPM range with a decent hole shot.

I am aiming for mid 60's, which I believe a 23 Tempest Plus and my rig can do all day.

2019 Triton 189 TRX

sure hate to see a grown man be disappointed....If your boat is loaded for a days fishing 23 will not get you to mid 60mph maybe 58 - 60 mph with jack plate setup properly..... I feel you should run a 24 pitch for the speed you are wanting but with out jack plate and prop work gong to have long plane time if loaded…..
    P,S. pay the dealer to put the jack plate on.....unless you have a hoist to hang the engine...it's heavy and little more to this than just hanging the engine
    Last edited by Frank A; 11-30-2019 at 05:33 PM.

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

11. Member
    Just got out yesterday with this boat loaded down
    2 guys (160 & 200)
    Full tank 40 gallons
    38 air temp
    42 water temp
    23 tempest plus
    5600 rpm
    62.9 mph gps
    with the livewells full it dropped to
    5450 rpm
    61.5 mph gps
    I assume the best all around prop would be a 22 tempest plus

Quote Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
    sure hate to see a grown man be disappointed....If your boat is loaded for a days fishing 23 will not get you to mid 60mph maybe 58 - 60 mph with jack plate setup properly..... I feel you should run a 24 pitch for the speed you are wanting but with out jack plate and prop work gong to have long plane time if loaded…..
    P,S. pay the dealer to put the jack plate on.....unless you have a hoist to hang the engine...it's heavy and little more to this than just hanging the engine
    I won't be disappointed. I'll just try something different lol

As to mounting a jack plate, did it on the last boat. Its 4 bolts x2. No issue and yes I have access to an engine hoist.

I'm not arguing or saying you're aren't knowledgeable, but take what you know about your javelin and 2 stroke and throw it out.

I have 500 more RPM with the 4 stroke merc and the torque curve is insane.

With 10% slip on a 23 pitch and a 1.85 gear ratio it is 64 mph at 6000 rpm

Maybe my hull will slip more than that or not be able to get to 6000 rpm.... don't know. I'll measure my PTP tomorrow.
    Last edited by ford4wd08; 11-30-2019 at 07:46 PM.

2019 Triton 189 TRX

Quote Originally Posted by T_Huff189 View Post
    Just got out yesterday with this boat loaded down
    2 guys (160 & 200)
    Full tank 40 gallons
    38 air temp
    42 water temp
    23 tempest plus
    5600 rpm
    62.9 mph gps
    with the livewells full it dropped to
    5450 rpm
    61.5 mph gps
    I assume the best all around prop would be a 22 tempest plus
    Thanks for the info. I'll report back my results tomorrow. We don't run too heavy. Won't know until I try.

You've got decent slip numbers. What's your prop to pad?
    Last edited by ford4wd08; 11-30-2019 at 07:35 PM.

2019 Triton 189 TRX

14. Member
    T Huff189 do you have a jack plate? ford4wd08 that pretty well shows you that a 24" will be too much prop and that your tach is off if it's reading 5900-6000. That boat really needs a jack plate to get to 10% slip so look for 64 to be about all it's got until you add one.

15. Member
    Yes I have a 6 inch manual z-lock kinda wish they optioned the 189’s with hydraulic. I feel like I’m a little low but a quarter inch higher and all you hear is exhaust and doesn’t feel as stuck to the water.

So I was able to get out on the water today.

Not the best day to test at all. Wind was a steady 15 miles an hour with gusts over 20. White caps on the big part of the lake.

Today I hit 60 mph with the motor trimmed out and tach reading ~6500 rpms. It was still climbing I felt like, but started to chine walk so I backed out of the throttle.

I need to understand what my real RPMs are. My Vessel View Mobile will be here hopefully by the end of this week. I'll work on it more from there. Then maybe I can correct the Analog tach.

I think at the end of the day I'll get to 62 mph or so. Maybe a little more if I learn to drive it.

Dealer asked me to report back results. My only other thought would be to try a Fury, but I've read that Tempest and Fury's like different PTP.

I'll try it again soon and try to measure my PTP. I think one day I'll add a 6 inch rapid jack, but it is not a priority right now.

2019 Triton 189 TRX

17. Member
    T Huff raise it up 1/4" and see what it does, that noise is the prop running close to the surface. It should feel loose when it gets up on pad and the steering should get real light.

Got another trial in today.

Got my vessel view mobile in the mail. Got it installed.

WOW! My analog tach is off by over 1000 rpm! It must be on the wrong setting, but I have not checked yet.

Anyhow, this changes things. With my confirmed RPM's I was able to get 5500 RPMs at 62 mph fully trimmed out. This was me and my son, 3/4 tank of gas. Livewells were empty.

That's about 4% slip. I don't think I'll beat that for sure.

So this brings me to my question. I personally would like to see more RPMs. I think as mentioned earlier a 22 tempest would be the best all around prop, especially when it warms up.

Should I finish the break in with the 23? Does the 4 stroke make more power after it is broken in?? I know 2 strokes don't reach their true power until after a good break in.

2019 Triton 189 TRX

19. Member
    It really doesn't make any difference which prop you use to break it in but you might want to put water in the wells so you'll have a loaded boat and have a real idea how it will run when loaded. With the 23" prop you have 9% slip so your right where it should be the way your running now. If you do put a jack plate on it next year you should be able to raise the motor a little and gain more rpm's and speed.

It really doesn't make any difference which prop you use to break it in but you might want to put water in the wells so you'll have a loaded boat and have a real idea how it will run when loaded. With the 23" prop you have 9% slip so your right where it should be the way your running now. If you do put a jack plate on it next year you should be able to raise the motor a little and gain more rpm's and speed.
    Thanks for the feedback. My calculation show 4% slip with Mercury's calculator. I am thinking of getting a 22 just so I can get the RPM's up. I think the closer to 6000 rpm this time of year the better.

I'll talk with the dealer and see what they say. I'm still shocked the tach is that far off!

2019 Triton 189 TRX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast