Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What gear case do you have and what is the rev limiter on that motor, 6000 ??
    Do you have poles
    and what elevation are you at
    My initial thought was you should be running about 63 and 10 % slip with that rig
    I personally would stick with a Manuel jack as this will lighten you load just a little and one less thing to go wrong, On a properly setup rig a Manuel plate is as fast or slightly faster than a hydraulic one is
    Thank You Leon Pugh

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ford4wd08 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. My calculation show 4% slip with Mercury's calculator. I am thinking of getting a 22 just so I can get the RPM's up. I think the closer to 6000 rpm this time of year the better.

I'll talk with the dealer and see what they say. I'm still shocked the tach is that far off!
    Agree with your third and fourth sentences if you want a “year around” prop.
    Testing for the ideal prop in December can lead to major disappointment in July if not conscious of how temp and humidity affect horsepower.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTTEXAN View Post
    Agree with your third and fourth sentences if you want a “year around” prop.
    Testing for the ideal prop in December can lead to major disappointment in July if not conscious of how temp and humidity affect horsepower.
    Yep, I set up my rig to occasionally hit the limiter this time of year under ideal conditions
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    OP, What is your current PTP? ~2.5” seems to be the sweet spot from what myself and other users with the same hull have found. Would be curious to know where you’re sitting at.

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    What gear case do you have and what is the rev limiter on that motor, 6000 ??
    Do you have poles
    and what elevation are you at
    My initial thought was you should be running about 63 and 10 % slip with that rig
    I personally would stick with a Manuel jack as this will lighten you load just a little and one less thing to go wrong, On a properly setup rig a Manuel plate is as fast or slightly faster than a hydraulic one is
    4.8" Gearcase with 1.85:1 gears. 6000 rpms is the recommended max.

No poles. Not high elevation. About 800 above sea level if I remember correctly.

It would be a manual plate, most likely a rapid jack as I've had one in the past and really like it.

Jack plate would be next year if I decided to go that route.
    Last edited by ford4wd08; 12-16-2019 at 08:08 PM.

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

I will measure my prop to pad in tonight or tomorrow. Been busy.

As to the prop, I got out and ran it again this weekend with my wife on board (full sized adult vs my skinny ass son). I filled the livewells as well.

The hole shot didn't seem to change much, but the top end did. I didn't get a good look at speed because I was watching rpms. I was only able to get about 5250 ~ 5300 rpms. I am thinking of going back to the 21 pitch that came on it and getting a true RPM reading this time with my vesselview. Last time I was afraid I was over revving the engine due to the analog tach, it might have performed as well I need it to. 60 mph is plenty for me. If it is faster, I'll be happy but not a dealer breaker.

On another note the hole shot with these 4 strokes in insane. It seems to almost never change. Must be a testament of all the low end torque.

2019 Triton 189 TRX

Spoke to the dealer. They said they would swap the 21 pitch tempest back to me.

I think it will be the best. If my analog tach would have been accurate to begin with, I think I would have been ok to start with. I was just afraid I was over reving since my tach said 7,000 rpms!

2019 Triton 189 TRX

8. Member
    Still curious what your prop to pad is, that is very important. You really need to get that dialed in before you start changing props because that can change everything from speed, RPMs, and boat handling. At least it did for me. If you’re sitting 4 inches below the pad, nothing you’re doing right now will make sense. With a tempest prop the sweet spots probably going to be ~2.5 inches.

9. Member
    He can't run at 2.5" under prop to pad because he doesn't have a jack plate and will end up about 4" under prop to pad.

I will measure it tonight to confirm. I believe it is mounted on the 3rd hole from the top.

If nothing else the 21 will be a good prop to have for summer if I decide to get a jack plate.

2019 Triton 189 TRX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12