Question Tow Rope Recommendations

I got hung up on a clay/mud bar at Lake Barkley while fishing a tournament several weeks ago and didn't have a tow/pull rope of quality and length to help us. If I'd had 100 ft of good tow rope, there was a boat that could've pulled me off. I have a 20 ft 4 inch hull with a 250 outboard to give a weight reference. That's over 2000 pounds when including engine, gas, water etc.

I see were BPS has 3/8 100 ft (3 strand nylon twisted) for $30. They also have 1/2 100 ft (3 strand nylon twisted) for $58. Are these worthy of a being reliable in a pinch if a boat needs pulled out of mud (within reason of course) or towed in?

I was on the trolling motor and not paying attention to how shallow it was getting and the wind just eased me up on it before I could recover with the trolling motor. We were stuck for over an hour before we got off and though we were never going to get off.

I want this to be an excellent tool for is this ever happens again and if I ever need to help another bass boat. If getting this BPS stuff isn't recommended, please tell me. It's just the most convenient place for me to get it but don't mind looking elsewhere.

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Personally, the weight of your rig is a concern for the ropes you mentioned. I would look on Amazon (or where ever) for a snatch strap for vehicles. 75-100’ and has a bit of spring to it so the other boater can get a little momentum and there is no shock to either boat.

For my little tin a rope would be fine, as me how I know! But with your weight I’d get a snatch strap
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Not all ropes are created equal but most of my 3/8" ropes have a breaking strength of about 4,400 lbs. (polypropylene and polyethylene float and nylon doesn't) A float rope is usually a better choice for this situation.

4. Member
    Go to Lowes or HD, the packaged ropes have breaking strength labels on them.

There is just no telling what might be needed. You could be aground where 300 lbs would pull you off and you could be aground where 2000 lbs would not pull you off in a tidal area. I think for peace of mind decide where you will store it and the space you are willing to devote to it and buy has high a rated rope as you can fit in that area. I do recommend for marine use, buy rope that will not absorb and hold water.

6. Member
    Get a quality USA made 100ft rope. A quality rope will have a much higher rating than the impoted nylon crap from the big box stores. Several vendors of good rope on ebay.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    There is just no telling what might be needed. You could be aground where 300 lbs would pull you off and you could be aground where 2000 lbs would not pull you off in a tidal area. I think for peace of mind decide where you will store it and the space you are willing to devote to it and buy has high a rated rope as you can fit in that area. I do recommend for marine use, buy rope that will not absorb and hold water.
    Yep... I agree
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

For grounding situations I carry a Tow Boat US card. A line breaking when trying to pull someone that is grounded can be very dangerous. Best left to those that are properly equipped. For simple towing I carry an emergency tow strap made by rod saver.

9. Member
    Thinking about getting this, I think it would be more than enough for most situations: https://www.amazon.com/Hardware-Fact...4797697&sr=8-5
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

There is no atachment points on any bass boat that can withstand 2000 lbs, I doubt 1000 lbs safley
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    There is no atachment points on any bass boat that can withstand 2000 lbs, I doubt 1000 lbs safley
    I have seen boats that weighted way more than 3000 lbs hung from the ceiling @Truman fiberglass by the transom eyes and the bow eye.

As far as a tow rope, you can buy one on a spool, wrapped in shirk wrap. I carry a 50fter. Remember, if you run onto a sandbar, trim the OB up, and be pulled out backwards. Been a few boats get hung up on sandbars on the Missouri River.

Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    Thinking about getting this, I think it would be more than enough for most situations: https://www.amazon.com/Hardware-Fact...4797697&sr=8-5
    Pretty much the same specs as the one I got from rod saver and a good price too. May be a little short for pulling someone off a bar, but plenty good for general towing. Just make sure the strap hooks will work with both your bow and stern U-bolts. Some of the cast type U-bolts do not work well with that type hook.

13. Member
    I drove right up on one (idle speed) one spring trip to Alabama. Ended up getting out of the boat and pushing it off. It was stuck pretty good, not just the weight of the boat, but the “stick in the mud” you’re pushing or pulling out. It took me a little bit to push it loose enough to power out. I was a muddy mess. The mud will take your shoes LOL. By time I was loose the entire boat had mud in it.

14. Member
    I keep a 100ft roll of seatbelt webbing on the boat. I had a keel hook sewn in on one end, like the winch strap on the trailer, and a loop sewn into the other end. It’s easy to roll up and fits into a 1gallon zip lock freezer bag and is stored with a few other things I keep for emergencies.
    My 100’ “tow rope” cost me about $15.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    I have seen boats that weighted way more than 3000 lbs hung from the ceiling @Truman fiberglass by the transom eyes and the bow eye.
    That would put the fasteners in shear - much different than straight pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Islands View Post
    For grounding situations I carry a Tow Boat US card. A line breaking when trying to pull someone that is grounded can be very dangerous. Best left to those that are properly equipped. For simple towing I carry an emergency tow strap made by rod saver.
    Sea Tow for me !!!!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    After reading the specs and looking at the pictures, this 1 screams chinese cheap made. May be I will look at the local chinese dump, otherwise known as Harbor Freight.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    That would put the fasteners in shear - much different than straight pull.
    Are you saying that hung from the ceiling is not the same as an object being pulled toward the ceiling??, since when I hung my deer up, I pulled it toward my trusses. I can see the test Skeeter does may be considered shear, but I would still consider it pulling out.
    WADR, unless your entire hull is deep into the mud, some must still be afloat displacing some of the weight. FWIW, Here is a picture of shearing test Double_Shear.png

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post

As far as a tow rope, you can buy one on a spool, wrapped in shirk wrap. I carry a 50fter. Remember, if you run onto a sandbar, trim the OB up, and be pulled out backwards. Been a few boats get hung up on sandbars on the Missouri River.
    Awesome tip. I did not know about pulling stuck boat backwards.

20. Member
    I ordered and recieved the Rod Saver 30 footer. I now at least have that in the boat. I like the roll of seatbelt webbing for the 100 footer. May look into that.