MinnKota 4 bank charger tripping breakers

Recent charging at marina and new storage facility have resulted in the service breaker tripping.
    I have watched them charge for two hours and all go green.
    leave for a day or two come back and no juice flowing and breaker at electric outlet tripped.
    Has anyone else had this issue?
    Thoughts?
    2018 Skeeter ZX 250.

2. Member
    Marinas have GFCI protection. Is that a GFCI breaker you are talking about? If so it could be something besides your equipment you are dealing with. If that is a MK460PC it is rated for 14 amps. The breaker could be going bad. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    Lots of standard gfci breakers and receps are rated for 15 amps,a 20 amp rating costs considerably more money. You might just be over loading the circuit.

4. Member
    This is the same problem I had last week. After fishing I put the batts on charge, checked to make sure lights came on and left. Came back 30 min. later and no lights on charger and the breaker at boat house was tripped. Finally determined something blew up the charger. I called Minn Kotta and I have a replacement on the way. Charger is only 3 months old. I asked if they could tell me why it blew up. Tech said they don't normally even investigate the problem and if they do it is not documented.
    MK 440PC 4 bk. 10 amp..

5. Member
    Thanks for sharing that. If they are sending a new one without an asc looking at it. Kinda sounds like it has happened before. Bearetta, is yours the 440 or the 460? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    Thanks. I will check when I get home from Texas.
    It is a pain pain to deal with as mine sits in a storage unit.
    I waited 2 hours for the cranking battery to complete its charge the other day. Killed my time on the water.
    It did not trip the breaker that whole time.
    So it must be happening after it reaches full charge maybe.
    Lots of thunderstorms around too.
    I will keep a closer eye on it.

7. Member
    Went by to check the boat today after being gone a week. Outlet breaker tripped. Reset. Got 3 yellows on each of the 3 trolling motor batteries. Only one yellow on the cranking battery. After a while, all 3 were flashing green, but cranking battery still at one yellow.
    it is a Hummingbird 460 4 bank charger. I will check it more often and see what else I can learn. Deer hunting will get in the way later this week.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    Went by to check the boat today after being gone a week. Outlet breaker tripped. Reset. Got 3 yellows on each of the 3 trolling motor batteries. Only one yellow on the cranking battery. After a while, all 3 were flashing green, but cranking battery still at one yellow.
    it is a Hummingbird 460 4 bank charger. I will check it more often and see what else I can learn. Deer hunting will get in the way later this week.
    You are using the term “outlet breaker”. I think you mean GFCI, which is a different thing and trips under different circumstances.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    You are using the term “outlet breaker”. I think you mean GFCI, which is a different thing and trips under different circumstances.
    The electrical outlet where I plug my extension cord connecting to my charger has a breaker switch and red light indicator when triggered.
    this is the one that I am referring to.
    What would cause it to repeatedly trip during extended use?

10. Member
    Moisture, age, and/or looseness . Change it out.

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    The electrical outlet where I plug my extension cord connecting to my charger has a breaker switch and red light indicator when triggered.
    this is the one that I am referring to.
    What would cause it to repeatedly trip during extended use?
    That is the ground fault circuit interrupter. It trips when current leaks. It can happen because of a tiny bit of moisture in the wiring, inside the outlet or inside the charger. Dew or condensation is enough to trip it. A little dirt on the end of the cord can make it worse.

It can also be a fault in the charger or extension cord.

The outlets do fail, though it seems you’ve had it happen on multiple outlets.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    I was having similar issue and it ended up being a bad battery. Replaced my trolling motor batteries and problem was solved. I have a MK 460PC.

13. Member
    Thanks for the info and help. I will check those out.
    Storage place is new but not air tight. Have had a lot of dust and occasional moisture in it.
    Maybe those are getting in the ground fault circuit interrupter after I leave.
    i will check the batteries too.