Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    F2C93A05-7FA7-4ECA-BEA1-3E885191C32D.jpeg
    Well, got some 1708 on my braces. Can’t wait till I don’t have to work upside down and from the other side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    You have a light patch on your lay up. Is that a hole or bubble? I'm looking at the attachment picture or second picture. I don't see the light spot on the other side of the brace.

That was actually a 2" hole that the factory (i believe) cut out of the brace and ran the bilge pump hose through, never sealed the wood core either. I saved that side of the skin and filled in the hole from both sides with cloth but noticed it was a little low on the outside so I mixed up some epoxy with 404 and 406. I know it looks like air bubbles but the white spots are actually epoxy.

4. Member
    No Worries, just checking. I have a 240LTS in my shop holding me up form working on my VL100. It was supposed to be picked up this afternoon, I hate when customers stand me up without so much as a phone call. The Coosa finally came in at Advanced Plastics and is being delivered tomorrow for the new floor and deck extension planned for the little bass boat...

Funny you say that. While working on the boat today I came up with the idea of maybe using Coosa for a deck extension, coating it with West and then carpet. Might be a good idea?

Question: If I want to put another layer of 1708 on top of another layer, do I need to wait a certain amount of time or anything that needs to be done? Or can I just add another layer? Do I need to sand like resin? Thanks.

7. Member
    If your using epoxy and it is not sticky anymore sanding is required. If your using a laminating resin like vinylester usually as long as your within 24 hours, no wax was added to the previous layer, and it has not been contaminated by a oil or solvent you can keep rolling. Boat builders usually do 2 layers a day, more layers can and have caught fire when it kicked. They keep doing 2 layers or lay ups until the vessel is finished. To return to epoxy, 1 layer of 1708 saturated with a good epoxy is much stronger than saturated with vinylester. It's tougher, takes much more abuse, won't fracture like a ester resin unless something bad has impacted it.

8. Member
    As far as using Coosa on a deck extension, it works as well as plywood. Even if your using West Epoxy the topside of the deck should be faired & painted before carpet is laid. You want to waterproof well any topside work regardless.

Thanks rojoguio.....

DDB9F6B4-066D-4D02-8585-21BECF58BF5D.jpeg25F22B6C-99A5-4B63-98DC-2DC416B7F667.jpeg

Just wanted to give you a little update, fitting the Coosa now and hope to glue them in place tonight.

11. Member
    I like the bilge area. What did you coat with? Also remember to paint edges of Coosa with straight epoxy before buttering in between. It is a bit of a pain as the butter does not want to stick until it mixes a bit with the straight resin. The resin will penetrate better than just the butter.

Thanks, will do that for sure. I plan on running two batches of epoxy at the same time as I'm placing the pieces together. I used Interlux Bilgecoat but i'm not done with it just yet, gotta customize it a little I think. Not that you will be able to see anything once I put everything back in.

13. Member
    Well I'm going to order some Bilge coat from my supplier. Waterproofing the bilge is important. Being close to New Orleans I get next day delivery. Also noticed the Puck, I talked to Garmin last week and they said even their new "Little" plotters have a flush mount kit in the box. I want to either buy a 3D printed Graph mount or flush mount for a running depth sounder on the Champ's Dash. My Helix 10 Transducer is mounted way high so as not to knock it off.

I was going to order the paint online but my local supplier had a quart in stock for about the same price as online. I believe it's only available in gray and white. That ducer is from my Lowrance that I epoxied in about close to 20 years ago and it works good, I just upgrade units but keep that ducer. I just took of the Hummingbird ducer that was factory installed for the flasher as I haven't used it in a long time. Now I gotta get back to my board and epoxy, recheck my clamps.

17. Member
    Good clamping, very important.

18. Member
    It is nice how have you laid the layers of 1708 and epoxy down together.
    Looking good!

19. Member
    Looks Great!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast