What type of charger to charge batteries monthly during offseason?

Before boat went to storage I pulled all 4 batteries (1 AGM cranking and 3 trolling motor batteries) and stored them in my basement. I've read that it's a good idea to charge them once/month during the winter. This may be a stupid question but what type of charger do I need to use to do this?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Probably something like a Battery Tender 1 or 2 Amp maintainer
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I use a noco. Battery tenders are good too.

Noco has a 4 bank "G4" charger/maintainer. It's a bit pricy though, around $200!

I have an old dumb 10amp charger that I use in the off season. Each battery every 2 weeks charge each battery 10 to 12 hours. Worked for years.

I'm testing the Cen-Tech 10/2/50 Amp 12V Manual Charger With Engine Start just picked it up for 29 buck but haven't formed an opinion yet.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCbound3 View Post
    Before boat went to storage I pulled all 4 batteries (1 AGM cranking and 3 trolling motor batteries) and stored them in my basement. I've read that it's a good idea to charge them once/month during the winter. This may be a stupid question but what type of charger do I need to use to do this?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Did you fully charge them before pulling them out of your boat with your boat charger?
    If yes and being kept in a dry warm basement never on the concrete floor, you will be fine until spring, and, at time of getting ready to use, put a 2 amp charge on each 1 of them for 24hrs.

If you did not charge them before take out, due the 2 amp charge now, and again when ready to install. Store you batteries on shelf or on floor ontop of wood.

6. Member
    A Battery Minder would be great. I have had much success with those, also the little 2 amp ones from Sears have been good for me if any Sears stores are still open.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Did you fully charge them before pulling them out of your boat with your boat charger?
    If yes and being kept in a dry warm basement never on the concrete floor, you will be fine until spring, and, at time of getting ready to use, put a 2 amp charge on each 1 of them for 24hrs.

If you did not charge them before take out, due the 2 amp charge now, and again when ready to install. Store you batteries on shelf or on floor ontop of wood.
    Yes, I charged them fully before pulling them.

Maybe I missed something, but if you have an onboard charger that has a circuit that prevents over charging (most do) then why did you take them out? I've owned boats for 30 years and never removed the batteries. That's what onboard chargers are for.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    Maybe I missed something, but if you have an onboard charger that has a circuit that prevents over charging (most do) then why did you take them out? I've owned boats for 30 years and never removed the batteries. That's what onboard chargers are for.
    Hjig,
    you are right, when living in warm climate especially, a periodic recharge to top them off is great. However, if you happen to live in the Icelands of the North, most people upto taking them out instead of recharging every few day, since I would not like to leave them on charge all of the time less something may go wrong with charger. In Upshit NY, we will get down to the negative numbers several times during winter, which will put 1 heck of a drain and strain on them batts. BTW, make sure you keep a proper distilled water level if lead acid with accessible cells.

Hjig,
    you are right, when living in warm climate especially, a periodic recharge to top them off is great. However, if you happen to live in the Icelands of the North, most people upto taking them out instead of recharging every few day, since I would not like to leave them on charge all of the time less something may go wrong with charger. In Upshit NY, we will get down to the negative numbers several times during winter, which will put 1 heck of a drain and strain on them batts. BTW, make sure you keep a proper distilled water level if lead acid with accessible cells.
    This is a often debatable subject. Cold won't harm a fully charged battery. They won't freeze if charged. Leaving them in the boat over the winter is fine if they are connected to an onboard charger that won't over-charge them.

As for the charger shorting out, etc that could be a concern. I've never had it happen nor have I heard of it happening. If they fail they usually just quit without causing any damage.

But then again ...... I'm one of those that won't leave the house with any lights on or an appliance like the dishwasher running. If you're uncomfortable about leaving a charger hooked up 24/7 I can totally understand.

11. Member
    I pull mine and put them on wood blocks in the basement also. This year I found a MinnKota PC106 smart charger. They’re less than $100 (I paid $85) and monthly I Cycle it through my batteries. Works awesome and same PC version as the 345PC in my boat.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    This is a often debatable subject. Cold won't harm a fully charged battery. They won't freeze if charged. Leaving them in the boat over the winter is fine if they are connected to an onboard charger that won't over-charge them.

As for the charger shorting out, etc that could be a concern. I've never had it happen nor have I heard of it happening. If they fail they usually just quit without causing any damage.

But then again ...... I'm one of those that won't leave the house with any lights on or an appliance like the dishwasher running. If you're uncomfortable about leaving a charger hooked up 24/7 I can totally understand.
    I see that we agree on the charging state and winter survival. However, if you don't trust leaving a dishwasher running that is connected to a breaker, I would be concerned trusting a charger that sits in your boat bilge left on for several days/weeks. I have mine connected to GFCI outlet at home or at dock, since I trust but I like to verify, and I check on it a few times per day.
    I do the same with my 2 AMP charger that I use on my stored cars and race cars.

I see that we agree on the charging state and winter survival. However, if you don't trust leaving a dishwasher running that is connected to a breaker, I would be concerned trusting a charger that sits in your boat bilge left on for several days/weeks. I have mine connected to GFCI outlet at home or at dock, since I trust but I like to verify, and I check on it a few times per day.
    I do the same with my 2 AMP charger that I use on my stored cars and race cars.
    We all have to "draw the line" somewhere .......

14. Member
    It has been many years since I have heard that one.
    https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/ge...tored-concrete

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    It has been many years since I have heard that one.
    https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/ge...tored-concrete
    Excellent article, which I guess helps me into reconsider what grandpa told me back in the days making him right and me wrong again.

We never removed the batteries out of the tractors and other equipment just made sure they were kept charged at least once a month. I even remembering one year the tractor wouldn't start in the middle of winter. No crank. Checked the water in the battery and it looked frozen. week went by it warmed up. Charged it and it was fine then. Don't remember how long it lasted. Keep a charge in them for sure.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!