250SS First Impressions

My repower is finally done, and she will run! My mechanic broke in the engine and ran it up to 76. He said it had more in it, but the lake was a little rough, so he backed off. My son and I took it out today and were easily able to run 74 with a full tournament load, 3/4 fuel and empty live wells. RPMs were right at 6000. With some more seat time, I’m sure we can run it in the upper 70s. Hole shot was a respectable 3.5-4 seconds. Idling, low speed and midrange are great.

The Merc guys go on about the startup and sound of the the new 4s. The 250SS sounds every bit as deep and throaty as the Merc to me. There is no shake when it fires up, and it idles really quiet. Defiantly quieter than the SHO.

We are currently running a 27p Scorpion. I want to try a four blade as well and will report back when I do. I am very pleased with my decision to go with the Suzuki.
    Last edited by Bahala; 12-03-2019 at 02:38 PM.

2. Member
    Those numbers seem pretty descent on your Cougar.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    Ran it up to 76 last weekend and I'm sure it has a couple more mph in her. Thats with two guys and tournament loaded. My mechanic is a Yamaha fan, but he is sold on the 250SS. He says it is superior to the Mercury 4S and is right there with the SHO, but is guieter and better fuel economy.

And that is why I want to try a Scorpion on mine. I feel the two props I'm currently using, 28 & 29 4 blades, are holding back the performance of this motor. Mine feels like there is so much more there that I am not utilizing. I cannot complain about the big water performance with the 4 blades but like I said it just feels like it could "sing" with the right prop.

5. Member
    The general consensus is that by around 100hrs these Suzukis loosen up and usually gain 50-100rpm and some fuel economy gain too.