Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    Look up smalljaw on youtube. He does a great job describing how to make different jigs and patterns.

You can search BBC for smalljaw67, his username here.

https://youtu.be/1HK9-rqotXo
    yep he's the best I've seen on this topic of jig tying. Very educational and answers all questions in the comments section.

2. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    What's to learn?

Tie one on, and swim it along, make it look alive. No need to overthink it; a jig is the simplest lure ever.

A float is just a way of slowing the jig down while controlling depth.
    hair jigs for smallies on the Tennessee River is the toughest fishing method to master, hands down...……..exposed hook, lead head jig, rock bottom, and current...…….I have carried people out and the bring 6 of them or so...……..they're out within an hour...…...if you don't focus and learn the right methods, it's a VERY difficult way to fish

------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jclark408 View Post
    hair jigs for smallies on the Tennessee River is the toughest fishing method to master, hands down...……..exposed hook, lead head jig, rock bottom, and current...…….I have carried people out and the bring 6 of them or so...……..they're out within an hour...…...if you don't focus and learn the right methods, it's a VERY difficult way to fish
    do you pour your own? if so, add in a 80 lb single strand wire leader for a weed/rock guard. i cant imagine its any more snaggy than here on the potomac and susky - house size rocks and crevices and heavy current.
    2016 Custom Xpress HD 1760
    Johnson 140/100 Jet
    Motorguide 105.

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

4. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    yes I pour and tie them...……….I have actually tried that and it works...…….just seem to have better hookup ratio without it...……….its typically the head itself hanging the rocks for me...……..having a guard certainly has its place for sure

yes I pour and tie them...……….I have actually tried that and it works...…….just seem to have better hookup ratio without it...……….its typically the head itself hanging the rocks for me...……..having a guard certainly has its place for sure
    I wonder if pouring and tying hair on the finesse football head mold would help at all. And you probably are already doing that I'm just thinking.

6. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatcher89 View Post
    I wonder if pouring and tying hair on the finesse football head mold would help at all. And you probably are already doing that I'm just thinking.
    I've tried them and they seem to hang worse...…….however, using a football head on a swing head seemed to hang less

not a bad idea!

Quote Originally Posted by JoshKeller View Post
    do you pour your own? if so, add in a 80 lb single strand wire leader for a weed/rock guard. i cant imagine its any more snaggy than here on the potomac and susky - house size rocks and crevices and heavy current.
    I would recommend tying your own. As stated you will lose them if fished right. I am in the no weed guard camp, not worried to lose them. Generally it the head that gets caught no the hook, so the weed guard is not that important.

Having tied and thrown jigs in rocky rivers for smallmouth, trout, and salmon, since I was a kid, I guess just never found it all that difficult.

It does take focus; I’ve always just pictured what the jig is doing in my mind, as I retrieve. It also helps to realize that from the first cast, through the last, the jig no longer belongs to you. It belongs to the river.

9. Member
    im throwing NLA pork trailers - i want my damn jigs back

This is the main 2 that I throw - and with the weed guard, and "feeling" the jig against rocks I rarely lose any.

2016 Custom Xpress HD 1760
    Johnson 140/100 Jet
    Motorguide 105.

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

10. Member
    Anyone know where to get some pill heads with a wire weed guard???... Dan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Wins go on the mantle. Losses go in your soul". - Don Barone

11. Member
    The thing about hair jigs,a lot of fisherman think cold water bait,which is true, works great in the cold water period, but when the bites off no matter what time of year, try the hair jig and 101 pork frog. The other mistake is, a lot of hair jigs are tied with to big of a hook.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Anyone know where to get some pill heads with a wire weed guard???... Dan
    Aspirin head?

13. Member

This is the main 2 that I throw - and with the weed guard, and "feeling" the jig against rocks I rarely lose any.

Nice jigs. Rabbit or squirrel on the orange ones?

Using hollow hair for flair?

15. Member
    Step 1- Buy a box of Hair Jigs
    Step 2- Try fishing hair jigs
    Step 3- Take box out of boat and put on shelf
    Step 4- Back to plastics

Obviously kidding, they catch a ton of fish in the great lakes, I just cant consistently be successful with them. When I do hook up, its usually the big fish of the day.

16. Member
    In Fisherman Midwest Finesse
    Pro Cure
    Rapala
    Simms
    St Croix
    Z Man

”Once a Marine always a Marine”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12