Center console bass boats... like'em, hate'em, why??

Just curious to get a general consensus on other peoples experience, opinions, etc. regarding center console bass boats. I know a few manufacturers have made center console model boats, but they just never seemed to take off. Just curious if we could get to the bottom of why that likely is.
    - Heath

Loved my Allison center steer, always balanced.

They look and drive great, but not a good fishing platform.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

4. Member
    I have no experience with small center consoles like the rare skeeters. bullets, and gamblers. I owned an Allison xb2003 and loved the wind protection in cooler weather. I would expect the allison xb21 prosport would give similar or better protection. The 2003 is a narrower boat and is a little tippy compared to wide bodied boats, therefore moving to the front of the deck is more problematical than a traditional bass boat. When I replaced my 2003 with a newer XB21, I had a difficult time deciding on the prosport layout or a more traditional layout. I went with the more traditional layout, mainly because of rod storage. Its a tradeoff. If you are nimble, you should have no issues with the Allison layout. If you are heavy with poor balance, maybe not.

5. Member
    Gamblinman, first of all thanks for contributing. Would you mind elaborating a little more regarding some of the cons of the center console as a bass fishing platform?
    - Heath

6. Member
    I bought the Skeeter center console when they first came out in 1989 I believe, and the boat ran cocked to one side. I went back to dealer with complaint and we took it out to verify. They called Skeeter who sent two people from Kilgore Tx and Propeller guy came from prop company with several props. Dealer installed motor on two additional new boats and they all went to lake. Results were they offered to refund my money or order me a different boat. I chose a single console boat and within the month the dealer called me saying the boat had been taken off the market. My theory was it was prop torque that was causing the problem. My thoughts were that was probably why boats are driven from right hand side, but never heard their thoughts on that. As far as cons about center console it was not a tournament boat. If you had to net your partners fish it was difficult to pass by center console. I'm not a big guy but you almost had to turn side ways to get thru. Remember Gambler made one as did another company but no bodies making them any more. I thought they looked neat at the time but were not a good fishing platform in my opinion.

7. Member
    Thank you IndianaGambler... That's the exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Hopefully others will continue to chime in over time.
    - Heath