Oil consumption in a 2 stroke Optimax 150?

I am looking at a used ranger with a 2013 pro xs Optimax 150. I am trying to calculate running costs, and I am wondering what I can expect to spend on dfi oil approximately. Is there an average ratio of gallons of oil/gallons of fuel? I probably will be putting on average 50 hours a year on the big motor.

2. Member
    I’ve put about 12 hrs on my ‘04 175 in ocean conditions light to medium swells. After buying boat filled oil tank to 3/4 full and checked it yesterday and still half full. In those 12 hrs have gone through 22 gallons of fuel 3400-3800rpm for 70% of running time. Compared to my ‘95 Johnson 115 in Boise the Optimax is stingy on Fuel and oil. A friend here has exact same boat with Yamaha 150 4stroke and were both around 4+ miles per gallon. YMMV :)
    Maybe another Optimax owner can give you some better/longer ownership, for consumption.
    Last edited by Rsylvestri; 11-24-2019 at 03:47 PM.

It really depends on your driving habits and more specifically your use of the throttle. For example, every time you hammer the throttle the computer adds a bunch of shots of oil in anticipation of going WOT. A throttle jockey will use a lot more than someone who is smooth. Also, each motor is a little different too. I had one that seemed to regularly burn more oil than other Optimax/ProXS motors I have owned.

All I can say is that it will not be a horendous amount. Get DFI oil when it is on sale or from a dealer’s bulk barrel.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    That engine has a variable ratio oiling system,the harder you run it,the more oil it will use. Over all a 50:1 ratio of gas to oil will be close.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Oil consumption is very similar to other 2-stroke models (carb or EFI), when compared at the same RPM for a specific period of time.

Don't attempt to use a "ratio" as the fuel used is CONSIDERABLY less than previous 2-stroke models. It might look like it's using a lot of oil, when in fact, it's just using a lot less fuel.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Elephant Boys buys Mercury oil by the pallet, usually has best pricing on DFI, and is where I get mine. The 2.5gal jugs are the best deal and last I bought they were $78. As stated, fuel consumption will be directly related to driving habits. FWIW, when I'm in no hurry, I get 5.8 - 6.0mpg at 3380 - 3410rpm and 28 - 29mph GPS. If I kick it up a bit to 3800 - 4200, mpg drops to 5.4 - 5.5.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Should I run regular DFI or semi synthetic DFI? 2013 pro XS 150 serial number 2B009465

8. Member
    All Mercury/Quicksilver DFI is a synthetic blend.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    All Mercury/Quicksilver DFI is a synthetic blend.
    +1

Just make sure it has "DFI" in the name (if unsure, the Part number on the bottle helps).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Banned
    I just sold my opti 150 pro xs same year. It wasnt that bad on oil compared to my buddy's 225 opti pro xs. I put about 60 hrs a season and I go through about 2 of those 10 L jugs. So it costed me $200 in oil a season. I got tired of the 2stroke, adding oil, and found it tough to maintain on my own. I picked up a Yamaha 4stroke, no more adding expensive oil, very easy to maintain and from what I understand an absolute bullet proof motor.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

12. Banned
    I average 30-40 hours a year on my motor and go through 5-7 gallons of DFI a year. Really, though, it's going to depend on how you are running your motor. Hours mean nothing. If you idle for hours on end graphing you won't use much at all. If you're like me and don't do a lot of graphing and hammer down to get from spot to spot you're going to use more oil.

I don't even worry about it any more. My suggestion would be to call around to your local dealers and tackle shops. Most in my area sell DFI in the "bring your own bottle" format for around $30 a gallon. Beats paying $42 a gallon at BPS or Academy. Keep the bilge tank 75% full and just go fish.