Directed to This thread to get info 'bout Pro XS

Question About 175 Mercury

Model 1175P73EY Serial 2B018990 2013 Mercury Optimax 175 Pro XS. At the lake water temp @ mid low 50* air temps 60*. I had most always run at no less than 12 psi water pressure as noted on my Merc Monitor. Running at a mid 50 mph this particular time and adjusting trim to acquire proper water pressure no less than 12 psi. I had made a couple moves prior to this move and engine ran as expected with no concerns at all. Just last month had tech service water pump impeller along with both thermostats. At this particular time on the water running down the lake without any sign NO alarms at all the engine started to shut down. There were no floaters or any debris noted in the area thinking I may have hit something. I tried twice to restart the engine and not happening. The engine would fire as long as I held ignition switch to start. As stated I only tried twice while on the water then. With this description of events does it sound as though I blew the motor or air compressor? I understand without having motor to connect diagnostic tool can't say for sure but just to ease my mind what does this sound like may have happened?
    Last edited by Speedboat; 11-24-2019 at 11:16 AM.

2. Banned
    Check the big 3. Compression, spark and fuel. Pull tracker valve check for tears.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Check the big 3. Compression, spark and fuel. Pull tracker valve check for tears.
    Thanks Riccochet but I don't have the diagnosis tools needed to perform those needed checks. Wish I did would determine a lot about my concerns.
    Last edited by Speedboat; 11-24-2019 at 03:23 PM.

4. Banned
    Best to take it to a service center then. Don may chime in with some words of wisdom.

5. Member
    Have you removed the cowl and checked the belt as I suggested yesterday? If you shredded the belt, the compressor won't turn, and your engine will NOT start...
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Among the first thing I did SilverFox when returning to the ramp and loading the boat on the trailer was to pull the cowl and check belt to be OK. Didn't notice any abnormal amount of oil anywhere. I did noticed that the internal oil tank was approx 1/2 low of oil I also found a 15 amp mini fuse blown which I replaced and tried starting motor to run that didn't effect my concern. I returned the blown fuse prior to taking boat/motor to Mercury Tech.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    DO NOT start pulling the tracker valve unless there is a reason too.

VISUAL INSPECTION of the belt, tensioner and compressor are a good starting point.

Then check the basics (sounds like your dealer needs to look at it if the engine mounted oil tank is that low).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Whew found the cause of my motor concern! Tech at shop found hose from air pump to fuel rail had come off air pump due to wrong type clamp to hold hose to air pump. Tech reattached hose and used oetiker clamp. All is right with the world now it is time to fish.

9. Member
    Awesome!!
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

10. Member
    Great news!!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Member
    What about the " blown fuse"? Fuses blow because some electrical problem caused them to blow.

[QUOTE] I also found a 15 amp mini fuse blown which I replaced and tried starting motor to run that didn't effect my concern. I returned the blown fuse prior to taking boat/motor to Mercury Tech./QUOTE]

12. Member
    [QUOTE=Savage;10676797]What about the " blown fuse"? Fuses blow because some electrical problem caused them to blow.

I also found a 15 amp mini fuse blown which I replaced and tried starting motor to run that didn't effect my concern. I returned the blown fuse prior to taking boat/motor to Mercury Tech./QUOTE]
    I really don't understand this 15 amp mini fuse. I found it to be listed for the Main Power relay fuse. I replace this fuse and took boat to the lake this morning started motor and ran boat with no concerns after returning home check fuse to be good so I assume this fuse blew due to the original starting concern I just had corrected.

13. Member
    [QUOTE=Speedboat;10677155]
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    What about the " blown fuse"? Fuses blow because some electrical problem caused them to blow.

I really don't understand this 15 amp mini fuse. I found it to be listed for the Main Power relay fuse. I replace this fuse and took boat to the lake this morning started motor and ran boat with no concerns after returning home check fuse to be good so I assume this fuse blew due to the original starting concern I just had corrected.
    An air hose not being attached won't cause a fuse to blow. Something electrical related caused the fuse to blow.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^ Correct. Two separate causes involved... and the blown fuse should definitely be investigated to find the cause.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Yes Don I agree this concern of the blown fuse needs to be addressed. Question Don where is the main power relay located on this 175 Proxs serial #2B018990 model 1175P73EY?

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Electrical plate, below the PCM (three relays mounted there... two are power trim, one is the MPR).

17. Member
    Don let me tell you when I found the the blown fuse and how I am thinking it might be related to this recent no start concern. When the motor dies while running at approx 50 mph I tried the starting 2-3 times but no start to run. When I loaded up back at the ramp I looked and found the 15 amp main power relay fuse blown. I had Mercury service check out my concern where he found the hose disconnect to be the problem. He reconnected hose and started engine and ran it for several mins. When I picked the boat up I checked the fuse there at the service shop the fuse had not been replaced. My understanding is that he had started and ran motor for several mins with this fuse blown. I replaced the fuse then when I picked up the boat and today went to the lake. I started and ran the motor for several miles stopping periodically. When returning home I check the fuse once more and it was not blown. Since replacing the blown fuse then started and running the motor several times today and the fuse was not blown after that today motor started and ran fine.

18. Member
    The 15 amp fuse is for the Power Trim, MPR, and Key Switch.

19. Member
    Thanks Savage for your responses and advise and suggestions. I did find what that fuse protected in the manual. Now I don't have proof of this but in short at the time of the no cranking issue with the motor I found the blown 15 am mini fuse. I tried cranking the motor when fuse blown. When at ramp that is when I removed cowl found blown fuse and replaced it. I tried again there to crank motor and NO CRANK. I replaced blown fuse for my service tech to see in his diagnosis. He told me of the cause of my concern of the no crank and what he did to correct it. He did not say anything about the blown fuse. I don't know why and plan to ask about that Monday when the holidays are over. I did replace that blown 15 amp fuse before going to lake the next day where I started,cranked and ran motor several times and ran for a few miles for a hour or two with no problems at all.