Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    With winter hitting now I doubt I’ll get it back on the water to test it when it fails . How much voltage does this motor pull at full speed. I’ve pretty much ruled out the plug and breaker at this point . It’s a motor or battery issue now . I use my boat every weekend all day . I’m not sure how long a battery like these should last ? Thanks

2. Member
    Ok my tester showed up with a 100 amp load it pulled them down to 11.2 volts a piece and just to the edge of what the tester is saying is weak . I’m guessing a continuous load like running the motor for a couple of hours is going to be worse . What’s your thoughts battery’s no good any longer ?? Thanks

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 008wagon View Post
    Ok my tester showed up with a 100 amp load it pulled them down to 11.2 volts a piece and just to the edge of what the tester is saying is weak . I’m guessing a continuous load like running the motor for a couple of hours is going to be worse . What’s your thoughts battery’s no good any longer ?? Thanks
    What is the voltage when they are fully charged?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    What is the voltage when they are fully charged?
    I believe 12.8 if I remember correctly.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I believe 12.8 if I remember correctly.
    I’d expect to see them closer to 13V. What charger?
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I’d expect to see them closer to 13V. What charger?
    It’s a ranger boat dual pro charger . I’m currently charging them now . My starting battery is reading 15.4 and both trolling batts are showing 13.3 this is with the charger plugged in . Main is showing green and trolling batts show about half charge

7. Member
    Ok I just checked again trolling batts are at 13.7 charging still . Main is showing 13.4 and it is green light

8. Member
    Ok all batteries finished completely charging up. I unhooked the chatter and waited a hour . All are at 13.2 . Going to wait at least 24 hours and see what they read . One trolling battery took a while longer to finish up .

Waiting on ups to deliver a battery tester. I spoke with MinnKota and was told anything under 12.6 volts it won’t work correctly. I’m sitting at 12.5 after using it . Checked my starting battery which is the same kind and its 13.9 . Really leaning towards these are shot .
    No way it could be 13.9 unless it is on the charger.
    Your post implies you are running one grp 31 agm battery. is that correct
    Is this 24 or a 36 volt ultrex
    That fully charged should be about 12.85 volts with surface charge removed for each battery
    All TM batteries in series should identical preferably
    the series battery pack is only as good as the weakest battery
    If every battery is equal at 12v each, the trolling motor should still work fine, just make a little less torque
    Thank You Leon Pugh

If you going to use a load tester, it should be a carbon pile type so you can adjust the load to 1/2 of the rated cca and hold there for 15 seconds, voltage should remain above 9.5 volts, with two minute rest period between test you should be able to repeat this 3 times before it starts falling below 9.5
    As Cat Fan mentioned though all that is really important is that at the end of days use. all the batteries should have very close to the same voltage and preferably above about 12.3 volts or better
    TM batteries it is not important what the CCA is, it is all about reserve minutes and amp hours, most batteries for deep cycle use have Low cca and high reserve

State of Charge Sealed or Flooded Lead Acid battery voltage Gel battery voltage AGM battery voltage
    100% 12.70+ 12.85+ 12.80+
    75% 12.40 12.65 12.60
    50% 12.20 12.35 12.30
    25% 12.00 12.00 12.00
    0% 11.80 11.80 11.80
    Last edited by lpugh; 11-27-2019 at 09:54 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    Wagon,what was the result after 24 hours? Bob
    Ok all batteries finished completely charging up. I unhooked the chatter and waited a hour . All are at 13.2 . Going to wait at least 24 hours and see what they read . One trolling battery took a while longer to finish up .
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Wagon,what was the result after 24 hours? Bob
    They are sitting at 13.1 volts a day later. I just find it strange that if the motor was the issue it would wait so long before it happens. One of these batteries must be getting bad a few hours in is my thoughts. I just don’t want to spend money if I don’t need too

13. Member
    I would not replace the batteries. I would be pulling on wire and connectors looking for something loose or blackened. When there is a loose connection heat is created and resistance increases. I know you upgraded your plug and wire to #6. #6 wire needs a larger crimp die to make a proper crimp. Also the connectors need to be the proper size to get a good connection. I believe your problem is not your batteries after hearing the rested voltage is 13.1. Bob

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    They are sitting at 13.1 volts a day later. I just find it strange that if the motor was the issue it would wait so long before it happens. One of these batteries must be getting bad a few hours in is my thoughts. I just don’t want to spend money if I don’t need too
    I agree with Bob regarding connection issues. A poor connection causes voltage drop resulting in the TM not getting full battery voltage. Like Bob said, look for something loose or showing signs of heat, or the blue-green of corroded copper.
    nothing else matters.​

15. Member
    All connections are clean and tight . I redone all but the ones at the battery’s. They look fine also . If it was a connection issue wouldn’t it appear sooner than it is ?

16. Member
    The wiring is not new though it’s a 2012 ranger that came with 6 gauge wire . I have not pulled and inspected the whole length of it though .

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    All connections are clean and tight . I redone all but the ones at the battery’s. They look fine also . If it was a connection issue wouldn’t it appear sooner than it is ?
    The voltage from the batteries will drop as you use them. If there is a connection issue, the point where the TM voltage is too low will happen earlier in the day.

Do you have a plug at the front for the TM?
    nothing else matters.​

18. Member
    Yes there is a plug brand new battery tender . Still happens with it . I may have just found the problem though . Went to loosen a 3/8 nut on a positive terminal and the whole post made a cracking noise and it wiggles back and forth. It’s like it’s separated deep inside the battery

19. Member
    If it is loose you will need new. Bob

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    If it is loose you will need new. Bob
    Do you think this could of been my whole problem? It takes a little pressure to make it move but it was definitely weak to begin with. Would this cause a voltage loss after a while of running? Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast