Spring help for lake norman!

Hello everyone, 3/14 & 3/15 I will be on lake norman for a kayak tournament. I am from Indiana, and have never gotten to fish lake norman, and as of right now at best I'm going to get Friday only to fish. Can anyone offer up a little info to help me, in lines with water quality, colors baits etc. When looking at the map this lake is far bigger than anything I have been on with thousands of points haha. We can launch from any public site, thank you in advance for any info given
    Last edited by Dirkhayward; 11-24-2019 at 06:02 AM.

2. Member
    you might want to try a smaller lake norman is very busy in the spring 32,000 acres. Wylie is close and so is Hickory a lot easier to navigate in a kyack just my 2 cents

3. Member
    that is where the tournament is I dont have a option to try other lakes.

Shoot an IM to RB, He knows more about Norman than most. A lot will depend on the weather. It can either be 70 degrees or snowing here in NC. Good Luck

youll be there 2/3 weeks befor full spawn, there can be some big female spots loading up some of the shouls & rocky points on the lower end of the lake if you get a light breeze run wopper ploper and jerk baits & skip jig under deeper piers... you'll be happy..... how do you fish a jerk bait from a YAK.....
    ps: where are yall going to launch from? that will make a BIG difference on how you will need to plan your practice.
    Last edited by Frank A; 11-24-2019 at 08:39 PM.

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
    youll be there 2/3 weeks befor full spawn, there can be some big female spots loading up some of the shouls & rocky points on the lower end of the lake if you get a light breeze run wopper ploper and jerk baits & skip jig under deeper piers... you'll be happy..... how do you fish a jerk bait from a YAK.....
    ps: where are yall going to launch from? that will make a BIG difference on how you will need to plan your practice.
    I can use any public launch, and I can stand in my yak lol these arent your typical kayaks.

7. Member
    The water is generally clear to light stain most of the time in most places. Browns, Watermelon, Green Pumpkin colors.
    A lot of tournaments and big boats.