Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Replacing Trailer Tires

I know this subject gets beat to death but I'm at the point of having to replace the tires on by BCB trailer toting by Eyra and I guess I'd just like to get a few opinions before pulling the trigger. I picked up the boat from Mountain Home in August of 2016 and have towed it all over the southeast, including a trip back to Mountain Home for some repairs (my fault) and did all this on the stock tires BCB had on the trailer, which are Trailer King radials in ST 205 75R 15 size, load range E. These tires have been flawless but are stamped "made in China" right on the sidewall and that has me thinking hard about whether to replace with the same or look at the American Made Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. I had at least 4 failures from the older Goodyear Marathons on a Triton TR21 trailer and swore I'd never run a Goodyear tire again but it seems line this is about the only American Made option.
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts, input or recommendations.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

2. Member
    I believe Cooper is American made. Last I knew they were but we all know how that changes.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

3. Member
    cooper-general-mastercraft usa made-- the endurance is looking to be an awesome tire if it comes in the size you need also!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Goodyear endurance is a good one made in USA
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

You've never had an issue but worried because of 3 words? After owning several boats in 30 years, you always hear how they use the best components available. Surely they won't stick cheap, poorly made tires on one of their "famed" trailers to make a sale on a budget shopper. They could go Carlisle, Maxxis or...…. Trailer King among others. Take opinions, including your own experiences and make a decision you're comfortable with.

6. Member
    If you aren't worried about how the tire looks I'd go with the Goodyear Endurance. Many I know have switched to these and have had great luck so far. If looks are important or if you want White lettering you'll have to look towards passenger or LT tires of your choice. I know BCB is currently using a General Altimax tire that I have only heard good things about.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

We have had absolutely EXCELLENT results from the General Altimax 15” tires we are using now. The General 18” series has also been a stellar product.

This has been one of the best Tire products going back to Firestone Indy 500 tires we ran a long time ago.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We have had absolutely EXCELLENT results from the General Altimax 15” tires we are using now. The General 18” series has also been a stellar product.

This has been one of the best Tire products going back to Firestone Indy 500 tires we ran a long time ago.
    this is what I run on my honda suv's, great tires!! USA made also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

9. Member

this is what I run on my honda suv's, great tires!! USA made also
    MAGA

Is the GT Altimax a harder tire than the Mastercraft Avenger GT?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Is the GT Altimax a harder tire than the Mastercraft Avenger GT?
    would need to know the tire wear numbers off of sidewalls to know likely. softer tires have lower life rating numbers mastercraft is cooper tires both good tire IMHO
    MAGA

Thanks everyone. Going to look at the Altimax and Endurance.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTR21 View Post
    Thanks everyone. Going to look at the Altimax and Endurance.

endurance is a trailer tire so stiffer sidewalls. the others are just really good tires for autos which is fine if you have a tandem trailer
    MAGA

The sidewalks are not necessarily stiffer because it’s rated as a trailer tire. Which do you think Goodyear values most, your wife and family on the road with your passenger car tires, or your trailer tires built for everything from an RV to a small utility trailer.

Question on the Altimax- would you run them on a single axle trailer? Load capacity is down a lot from the Maxxis tires I’ve run for the past several years.

We do run them on single axle trailers.

17. Member

I appreciate this info, and for further clarification would this be the Altimax you are referring to.......AltimaxRT43 175/65 R15? thank you.

18. Member
    I still run Cooper Cobra, no issues.

19. Member
    I'm also looking at tires. Mine currently has the indy 500 P215/70R15 tires. Which Altimax tire is the one I need and do I get the exact same size? Its a 2004 PIV

Wow! Indy 500 tires would be a pretty old set of tires. They worked well for us and Firestone made some changes that took us away from those. The General tires have been better than our results with the Indy 500 series and are the best tire we have used in the recent 15 year period on durability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast