Alarm saying starboard port overheat 250proxs 4 s

2b575473

getting alarm today when I backed boat in and it was idling at the dock while I parked the truck. Then continued to do it throughout the day only at idle though, goes into guardian mode for this slarm, I couldn’t even put it on the trailer because it was in guardian mode had to which it up, never done this before 1 1/2 years old 150 hrs. Clogged thermostat maybe?

Have u checked your strainers. Need to ck those if u run dirty water or a lake with a lot of grass.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    Have u checked your strainers. Need to ck those if u run dirty water or a lake with a lot of grass.
    No I have not, don’t even know what they are, water pressure is definitely down across the range. Definitely a clog somewhere

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you're receiving an OVERHEAT warning, I would strongly recommend shutting the engine down and having it checked out asap. You don't want to be overheating the engine with all of the plastic and rubber components in the rear of the engine.

While strainers should definitely be checked- it's always wise to start at the SOURCE: The WATER PUMP.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

If you have gotten the motor serviced make sure they put the correct gasket in for the water pump housing. Mercury was sending out the wrong ones. The Optimax water pump kit is not the same as the V8. Dealt with the same issue. Only at idle.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigolbass View Post
    ... The Optimax water pump kit is not the same as the V8. Dealt with the same issue. Only at idle.
    Depends on which "kit" you are referring to. The impeller, upper and lower impeller plate gaskets, plate and housing top-hat seal ARE interchangeable (there are two different designs of that lower gasket, both are still circulating in stock).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I’m at dealer now letting them check it, applauding to them for getting me in on short week.

8. Member
    It’s the gasket

9. mikesxpress
    It's the "wrong" gasket the dealer installed?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    It's the "wrong" gasket the dealer installed?
    Not sure putting it in the shop Tuesday, they will never admit it if it was you know that