Thread: HELP....!

HELP....!

Hi all

I blew a bearing on my boat trailer... After having it hauled home I managed to get it in my garage.

I have never messed with bearings or axels before. I was able to get the hub off the axel. My plan was to take the hub in and get new bearings installed bring it back home reinstall it and then haul the boat to my trailer repair shop to have it all checked.

I had all the bearings replaced a year ago.

After removing the hub and cleaning it up there are 2 pieces on the axel still that I am not sure if they are supposed to come off
    One is at the end of the treads and the other is back at the end of the milled section of the axel,

The bottom of the milled part of the axel looks pretty marred up, Will I need a new axel?

Here are pics
    IMG_20191123_151039.jpg

IMG_20191123_151048.jpg

IMG_20191123_151224.jpg

Thanks for the assist/advice
    Always "Huntin" the IA Bass!

Boat: Nitro Z7
    Primary Propulsion Unit: 200 Optimax ProXS
    Vertical Depth Propulsion Adjustment: 8" Bobs Action Jack
    Underwater Surveillance: Solix10 G2 Console & Solix10 G1 Bow
    Anchoring: Powerpole, Ultrex Spot Lock
    Dynamic Positioning System: Ultrex i-pilot Link

2. Member
    Those are the inside bearing races. They’ll need to be removed. If they didn’t spin on the shaft, chances are the spindle is ok. I’d replace the wear sleeve that the seal spins on.

3. Member
    rockmike is correct. Looks like the inner part of the bearings are still on the axle. I am not sure what tools you have to work with but this is one way to go. It looks like in one on the inside will have to be cut off for sure and possible the one on the outside too. If you have a puller you could try to pull the outside one first but it is probably going to be a waste of time. I will try to explain the process and then give you a like to a video that kinda shows what I am trying to explain. The video is not exactly your situation but it was the first one I found and will give you the basic idea.

First you will need a grinder or dremel. Cut a groove into the inner bearing race remaining on the shaft. Don't cut all the way thru to the axle and try to be careful not let the grinder get into the axle itself. You are just trying to make a groove in the inner race of the bearing so that you can put a wedge (chisel) into. Once you get the groove cut put a chisel in the groove and strike with a hammer. This will drive the chisel (wedge) into the groove and crack the inner bearing race so you can get it off. Usually, when you crack the one side that will free it up enough to get it off. If it still will not come off you may need to cut another grove on the opposite side and repeat.

Here is the video that kinda shows what I am trying to explain. Go to about 4:10 in the video

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    One major point: safety glasses are critical when messing with races. They are hard steel and break into sharp pieces if they get hit wrong.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

What about the damage on the bottom of the axel

See 3rd picture

6. Member
    I saw the underside of the spindle and it does not look that bad to me. I have seen worse. I would not be worried about that part. The real question will be how bad is it where the bearings ride. The part hidden under the inner races is the really important part. You will probably need to clean them up with a little sandpaper.

You have probably already thought about this but I would look at the other side. You said you had them replaced a year ago. Unless you travel a lot you should not have had a bearing issue this soon.

You can take a file and emory cloth to clean the bottom of the spindle up.

Anyone happen to know what size bearing the back bearing for a Tracker 2011 Z7 Trailer is?

Or a source where I can look it up?

THanks

9. Member
    If you have the serial number and model number off the trailer data plate you can probably call Bass Pro Shops.

This is a long shot but can you read the part number on the back side of the old bearing race you had to cut off?

You could measure it. But it might be easier to ask on the Tracker Forum. I would think someone there would know.