New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

No start this morning

Went to test out the new water I put in on Thursday and dropped the boat in the water and all I got was a whirrr out of the motor not engaging to fire up. I came home tore the starter out and brought it to a guy that rebuild starters and alternators he tested it and said to replace it they dont rebuild marine starters orcc CD at least he don’t . He had a replacement for $140 so I bought it and installed it then turn the key same problem. Talk to my friend Fred and he told me it must be the bendix so had to pull the top cover off and all the linkage and stuff but finally got it done greased up the bendix and all is well now. Would you leave the new starter in or try to bring it back and put the old one back in the guy said it was dragging and such just for the record?
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    personally i would just leave it.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Al don't mess with success, leave the new one in and take the old one to an auto electric shop and have it fixed for a hot spare or rebuild it yourself. About $75 for the shop to do it.

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Thanks Fred your the best and I’m glad to call you my friend

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Boat started great today and water pressure was great also and she ran great too