Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pet Door installation anyone?

My two dogs and the cat drive us nuts with the going in and out.
    Anyone install a pet door? Have issues with other animals coming in?
    I have a small possum that checks the porch out often.
    The wife has requested one and i'm looking for Pro's and Cons's.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

If your pets can come in and out, so can other animals and insects.

3. 80.3 mph and squeezing bruce''s Avatar
    I have one . Three dogs, In the fifteen years i been visited by a 7 foot snake and a cat. Not to bad .
    Fishing Texas lakes one at a time
    2000 Baltex hull 202 Elite Champion
    2016 250 pro
    8 inch Hydraulic Jack Plate
    tempest 27 work by Steve
    Hook sets are fishing reality.

There are gates that require a transmitter on your pets collar to gain entry....a bit spendy though.. I put in a Pet-Safe door last summer and it's the best thing we ever did. Both for our pup and our sanity. We've had no problems with unwanted guests. Knock on wood.

5. Member
    I have large dogs and I put one in my house. I installed it with the lowest part of the pet door being the height of the lowest measurement of my dogs chest. I bought the largest door I could find at the home improvement store that has replacement parts in stock because the doors themselves will get wrecked over time. We have critters around here but after yrs of having the door we have not had any issues with critters coming in. I think that installing it higher on the wall as I did helps with that. The doors come with a blocking plate that you can put in when ever you like also so you can control when the door can or cannot be used. At our house we rarely block the door so our dogs have free range over our property in and out. They can stay cool when it’s hot and warm when it’s cold and do their job when we aren’t at home. I count on them protecting my home not the police. Hope that helps ya

6. Member
    I put one in and my damn dog still rings the doorbell every time he wants in.

7. Member
    electronic one only open for your pets with transmitters on them
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    If your pets can come in and out, so can other animals and insects.
    and people.................

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

Not hard to do and my Boxers come and go as they need. Neighbors Weimaraner came to visit one night about 11 pm, scared the crap outa me. Woke up and the little bugger was looking me in the eye 6 inches away. Now have added a small fenced in area they can go out without having anything come in.

10. Member
    Racoons learn how to use a pet door very quickly, ask me how I know.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by DAC244 View Post
    I put one in and my damn dog still rings the doorbell every time he wants in.
    Post of the day.

I'd never want my pets to go out and get in the mud and come back in without getting their feet wiped... Or get sprayed by a skunk at night and come back rolling around throughout the house... I know this happened a few times to some.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

13. Member
    All good info and a couple of hilarious encounters.
    I like the transmitting door. Will look into that.
    I also didn't think about them going outside and running thru a muddy ditch and coming back in the house.
    Definitely something to let my OCD wife know!
    Love my pets but they are spoiled and drive us nuts.
    The cat walks on my head and face at night to go out!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

14. Member
    I have a pet door on the back door. Three dogs use it. I have had two rat snakes in the house over the years. I just put them outside away from the house because they would just follow the foundation and possibly slip back in. I don't worry about four legged intruders because the dogs would be on them in a heartbeat. They would be after the snakes too if they could but I have a washer and a dryer inside the back door and the snakes slipped under the dryer. They can catch mice! The only negative thing about them is they are not air tight and you will get a little cold air in the house. When it gets really cold I close up the dog door and let them out myself.
    I just got a new puppy in August and on the second day she was going out through the dog door with the other two dogs.

15. Banned
    does the doggie door allow for cold air to come in?

We put ours in the bottom panel of the storm door so we could close the solid door when necessary. We purposely selected a storm door with a wooden core so that would work. Our backyard is stockade fenced but there are critters sometimes. Old Jack got sprayed by a skunk one time and I see squirrels and an occasional rabbit but none ever try to come in. We had to teach Jack how to use it and he still wouldn’t go through it for a week after I installed it.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachallen View Post
    sorry, cat hit cap lock! too lazy to retype it!! not yelling!!!

WE HAVE ONE ON THE BACK HEATED GARAGE THAT HAS TWO CLEAR FLAPS AND A MIDDLE INSULATED FLAP. IT PROBABLY LOOSES LESS HEAT THAN THE DOOR WOULD ANYWAY.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachallen View Post
    I know they let air in but some of the better quality ones will have a closer fit. Mine has a panel which can be put in on the inside when you want to close it up.

I have a cat door. So far nothing else has come in. I lock it at night.
    You get what you pay for I learned.
    The door has a fuzzy gasket all around it. Does good at keeping out bugs and weather.
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast